Error - custom Check # list item become corrupted after mobile sync

Pablo ElAviador
Pablo ElAviador Member ✭✭✭
I created a couple of custom items in the list for "Check #", such as "DirDep". After selecting one of these custom items and saving it, then completing a mobile sync, the field becomes corrupted with strange characters inserted in field "úÿÿÿ".

For example, "DirDep" becomes "DirDúÿÿÿp".

This error only occurs on Paycheck register entries, but not any other types of register entries.

This error occurs after every sync, and the problem is repeatable.

Troubleshooting I've already attempted:
- reset cloud data
- run Validate & Repair option
- run Super validate file

I also ran the above steps in different sequences, but no matter what I attempted, the same error reappears after I re-run the sync.

Has anyone else seen this error or something similar?

I'm using the current version of Quicken Deluxe for Windows (at the time of this writing, R 34.24) on Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1165 (fully updated)

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Pablo ElAviador

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your mobile app. That is quite an odd issue. I'd like to try a step to see if we might be able to correct the issue by deleting and remaking the dataset but first I'd like to know do you have any online billers or are you using Quicken bill manager to pay any bills? If so we'll want to avoid doing this step as it could create issues in other areas. 

Once you get the chance let us know more about the issue and we'll see what steps we can try taking to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Pablo ElAviador
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Quicken Francisco ,

Thanks for your quick response. I don't currently use Quicken bill manager or have any online bill payments connected with my Quicken software.

I'm okay with correcting the dataset, please let me know what I need to do next.

Thanks,
    Pablo
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2021
    Hello @Pablo ElAviador,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and providing a detailed description of your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.

To delete and remake the dataset as previously suggested by @Quicken Francisco, you will need to manually reset your cloud data by creating a test file and deleting your cloud account from that test file. After that, you would attempt to resync your main data file which should then create a new cloud account/dataset (this does not affect your data saved within that data file).

Before doing so, first, I do recommend saving a backup of your data file (just in case). Then, verify that the Dataset name and the File name match each other identically by navigating to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts (see below). 

If they do not match, please click Edit dataset name and change the Dataset name to match the File name exactly the same (do not copy the file extension: ".QDF"). 

Then, click OK in the preferences window and proceed to save a backup (just in case). From there, you will then need to sign out of the Quicken Mobile app (if applicable), and on your desktop program, create a new data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down to Instructions and open the blue dropdown section titled: "Creating a new file"). Once the new file opens, follow the steps below to remove your main data file's cloud account.
    1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    4. Click Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (#) (this is not a button, it is written in blue underneath the "Edit dataset name" button)
    5. Select the Cloud Account Name used for your main data file and click Delete
    6. Type Yes and click Delete

After that, switch back to your main data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down to Instructions and open the blue dropdown section titled: "How to alternate between multiple files"). 

Once your main file opens, go ahead and attempt to resync your data and see whether or not the issue still continues to persist. If successful, you can then delete the new file you previously created as well as its cloud account.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Pablo ElAviador
    Hi @Quicken Anja ,
    Thanks for responding! I followed all of your instructions, as well as those in the links you referenced, however the problem remains. I recreated a custom list item DirectDep in the Check # field, and anywhere I use that it is changed to Direúÿÿÿp after I sync the data.
    Please let me know if you need any further detail.
    Thanks,
    @Pablo ElAviador
  • Thank you for trying those steps and for providing an update.

At this point, I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.

-Quicken Anja

• Bob Carver
    Bob Carver Member ✭✭
    Seeing the same problem!
  • Bob Carver
    Bob Carver Member ✭✭
    I also noticed that the character corruption does not appear in the Mobile app, only the desktop Quicken (Windows version anyway)
  • bojiro
    bojiro Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. Also shows up in mobile app.
  • Hello @bojiro,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community, however, since this is an older post that was originally created back in August of 2021, it is less likely to receive an answer now.

I would suggest creating a new post for better visibility and to potentially receive responses from other users who may currently be experiencing the same problem. Doing so will also assist us with better tracking ability in the event that this issue may result in an escalation being required.

Please be sure to include a description of the issue, any error messages as well as the version of Quicken you have currently running (Help > About Quicken). The more information you are able to provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.