Chase Sync - Reversed How Transactions are Handled

Options
mosleym
mosleym Member ✭✭
I did my first sync on my Chase Accounts since the change in connection methods. The checking account handles transactions like a credit account, deposits take away from balance and checks are deposited. The reverse is true for my credit account, payments are charged and charges are credited. How can I fix, the details show a correct account classification?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you making this statement based on the dollar figures shown in the "Balance" column of the Accounts?  Could the problem stem from changes in the Opening Balances of the Accounts such that the "normal" numbers you'd expect to see in those Balance columns (red negative for credit card, black positive for checking) have been reversed?
  • mosleym
    mosleym Member ✭✭
    Options
    The handling of new entries, as well as old, are the reverse of what should be expected. It is not an original entry error.
    ex.: Checking - a check entry increases the balance, while a deposit reduces the balance.
    Credit Card - a charge decreases the balance, while a payment increases it.
  • Tom Young
    Options
    Just to be clear: in the affected Accounts you've gone to the top of the registers and determined that the Opening Balance is correct, and that the next entry after that Opening Balance is operating "in reverse" of what it should be?  That is, if the first transaction after the Opening Balance in the checking Account is a payment, the Balance number gets larger and if the first transaction after the Opening Balance in the Account is a deposit, the Balance number gets smaller? 
    Could you post a picture of what's going on?

• hemminghaus
    hemminghaus Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue in my Chase Visa Credit Card Quicen File. And when I contacted QUICKEN SUPPORT, I received the same question, questions that indicate the support person has no answers to a known proble. Look an dsee if this corrupted Quicken File is missing the AMOUNT COLUMN. My credit card file is missing the AMOUNT COLUMN, 7 the transactiions operate in reverse of what they should.
  • Tom Young
    Options
    I would love to see a picture from either of you showing this because it's not a "know problem" in the sense that it's wide-spread. 
    I did a quick search and I did find two other recent claims like this
    but in both cases the issue WAS the Opening Balance. 
    If the Opening Balance isn't the culprit for either of you then that does suggest some sort of "local" issue and the first thing to try would be to Validate the file.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are actually 3 columns...Payments, Deposit (or Charges & Payments) and Amount and then the Balance column.   Don't use the single Amount column.  Delete that column and just use the other 2 columns.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• mosleym
    mosleym Member ✭✭
    Options
    I had one account that had added two initial transaction that did not belong, that has been corrected. My checking is still acting in reverse, image attached.
  • Tom Young
    edited October 2022
    Options
    When posting images of a register it's best, if you can, to include the column headings in the picture to make it clear what's going on in the Account.
    It doesn't look to me like the register is "acting in reverse", though the Account is shown as being wildly overdrawn, which I'd guess isn't the case in the real world? 
    The first line shows the Account as overdrawn by $6,701.30  Then you show a deposit of one cent which reduces the overdrawn situation by a penny.  The next transaction is a deposit of $2,350.00, which further reduces the overdrawn situation by the same amount.  Then you pay your mortgage (it looks like) which worsens the overdraw by the same amount as the payment.
    You need to figure out why the Account is shown as being in an overdrawn situation; the first place I'd check is the Account's "Opening Balance" as there's been lots of reports of that figure getting changed.  That certainly occurred with my two Chase credit cards.
This discussion has been closed.