PenFed CU - FDP-103 (QMAC)

Options

Answers

• gdbush
    gdbush Member ✭✭
    Options
    This has been ongoing for over two months now. What is it gonna take to resolve? Obviously there are a lot of people who use Pentagon that this is impacting. Cmon man!
  • mickehlers
    mickehlers Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Fully agree. [Removed - Rant]
  • csiks99@
    csiks99@ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Doug Kruth, you will likely get the same, inaccurate, canned response that I and many others received, including laguanajim on 10/25, shown above. As I and others have confirmed (see above and/or search PenFed) PenFed has shut down ALL third party access on their end, including Quicken, and has no plans to restore it. There is nothing that Quicken can do with their access blocked. Time to move to a different bank or CU.
  • mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just a fact - I also have Patelco CU, almost 0 issues to download from Patelco CU.
    looks like it's specific to PenFed, and all this started as PenFed got / merged with several another CU more then an year ago, before that all were Ok.
    Best Regards
  • qkn1
    qkn1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sent a message to the board of directors link asking them to re-enable Quicken access.

I'm doubtful this will get resolved favorably and I expect I'll need to leave PenFed.
  • lagunajim
    lagunajim Windows Beta Beta
    edited November 2022
    Options
    FYI, folks, I only use the PenFed Visa for gasoline because the "cash" redemption rate is 4.25%. I live in California, so a $5 gallon of gas gets a 21 cent discount by using this card.

My day to day credit card is a 'Farmers Insurance Group Federal Credit Union (FIGFCU)' "Crystal Visa" - 3% cash back on every purchase for the first year, then 2.5% thereafter.  There is no cash card that gives better cash back that doesn't also have those ridiculous "rotating categories" every quarter.  Anyone can become a member of the Farmers credit union.

I also have an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred which I only use at the supermarket - for 6% cash back!

I only carry the Farmers Visa and the AMEX Blue - the PenFed Visa lives in the car.

• nordicmariner37
    Options
    Agree with all the previous posts. However, it would be in Quickens interest to state if PENFED is blocking Quicken access. Then we could move on. Penfed so far has pointed the finger at Quicken.
    MY GUESS IS: "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY". Penfed and quicken cannot agree as to the fee to be paid for this service. Why not just come out with the truth. It would be refreshing.
  • alatarga
    alatarga Member ✭✭
    Options
    I asked PenFed about the disconnect with Quicken and received the following:

Third-party applications can use a variety of means to access your data, one of these options is called screen-scraping. After careful consideration, PenFed has decided not to allow the collection of data through screen-scraping at this time; therefore, connecting to those type of programs, such as Quicken, Mint, and Ramp may be blocked. Applications that use alternative means of data collection are still allowed and should work as intended.

If you are experiencing issues with a third-party application, you may need to manually download transactions to your device, and then import the data to the desired program.

I was able to manually download transactions this week but could not import and Quicken Help was unable to resolve. If it's not one thing, it's another!
  • lagunajim
    edited November 2022
    Options
    For anyone unaware, data scraping is "Express Web Connect" in Quicken.

So if this statement is accurate it is PenFed that made the decision to block Quicken, and not a "bug" in or at Quicken.

I just went to Quicken competitor "Personal Capital" and queried their support system about PenFed.  Below is the answer -- clearly it was a PenFed decision and not Quicken asleep at the switch.

I also queried the Quickbooks support system, and it too is currently unable to connect to PenFed -- and they have a generic "our engineering team is aware and working on it" statement.

The Quicken-similar alternative Tiller reports PenFed is blocking their aggregator -- everyone may be using the same aggregator..

The ubiquitous aggregator, Plaid, does not list PenFed among its connected banks.  So there it is.

• mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this issue has been almost 2 months
    Quicken, can you provide clarity for this issue that your Users don't speculate? please
    is it some sort of compensation negotiation between Quicken and PenFed?
    Any reason PenFed can use Direct Connect that is secure way and doesn't need any UI parsing?
    Does Quicken charge too much for this proprietary Direct Connect that CU refuses to pay? or something else?

I don't see that moving from PenFed to another CU or bank will guarantee this updating issue free, as any Bank / CU can close access to an aggregator services for security or DDoS reasons at any time

We all pay to Quicken for this online access feature yearly, without this fundamental feature I'm not sure what I'll do yet ...

Quicken please, explain this situation for your paid subscription Users
    Best Regards
  • LSP
    LSP Member ✭✭
    Options
    I track 19 PenFed accounts (Checking, savings, CDs, credit cards, etc). Not having one-step download impacts the value of Quicken to the point I may simply move on back to Excel spreadsheets. When will we see a reimbursement? You have failed to deliver...
  • mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just FYI the same on Windows side https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20315049#Comment_20315049

10 pages already
    Best Regards
  • lagunajim
    Options
    I've officially dumped my PenFed credit card.  I only used it for gas and enjoyed a 4.25% cash back.  I will use my Verizon Visa card in the future and  get 4% back -- close enough.
  • csiks99@
    csiks99@ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Here, from another thread, is what alatarga received from PenFed on Nov 13: "Third-party applications can use a variety of means to access your data, one of these options is called screen-scraping. After careful consideration, PenFed has decided not to allow the collection of data through screen-scraping at this time; therefore, connecting to those type of programs, such as Quicken, Mint, and Ramp (are now) blocked." and what Kenr43 received from PenFed on Nov 15: "PenFed has changed its process to no longer allowing (sic) 3rd party applications access (to) our servers...... You can still download your transaction history, and import it to Quicken, however it (PenFed) will no longer allow the automatic downloads you have been accustomed to."
    So there is nothing Quicken can do to resolve the issue since PenFed has blocked all third party access.
    Time to move to one of the hundreds of other institutions who allow Quicken to access your data.
  • lagunajim
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The part I don't get is why Quicken support doesn't acknowledge this out loud, and instead just keeps saying "we're working on it with no ETA".

Providing timely and accurate status is better than vanilla responses.  We're grown-ups, we can take it.

Perhaps Quicken doesn't want to trash talk a bank - but just tell it like it is: "..they cut us off".
  • csiks99@
    csiks99@ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Very good question. Maybe Quicken Support and the responses to the Community are managed by a bot.
  • lagunajim
    Options
    Be nice ;)
  • Doug Kruth
    Doug Kruth Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I now have other accounts - Optum Bank - with similar problems. They have been in and out in terms of being able to do what we are all trying to do with Quicken….
  • tzimmermn
    Options
    Obviously there is a security vulnerability with screen scrapping that Quicken is not talking about. Quicken is now faced with updating their systems to provide more security and migration of data to a new more secure method of access.
  • lagunajim
    Options
    That's not accurate.  Quicken's "upstream data provider" uses screen-scraping for hundreds of financial institutions without unusual security concerns.  Any connection via "Express Web Connect" is screen-scraping.

I suspect the issue is that screen-scraping doesn't support two-factor authentication, or the financial institution is just skittish about having a process log into its system.

• Laura JJ
    Laura JJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Until earlier this year, Bank of America used to require MFA before I could download to Quicken. To my knowledge Penfed has never required anything more than a user ID and password. It seems like Penfed should be looking at a security upgrade instead of saying they won’t support Quicken any longer. In fact, I wish they’d worked on security this year instead of a new website design, which is less user-friendly than the previous site.
  • Larry Hathaway
    Options
    I have other accounts from different financials institutions and have no problem downloading transactions. My only problem is with Pentagon Federal Credit Union so I am wondering what is different. I’m starting to think they are not actually working on it or it’s beyond their capabilities.
  • Greg17
    Greg17 Member
    Options
    trying to access PenFed Union and... AGGREGATOR_IN_ERROR (ACCOUNT_MISMATCH:FDP-106) The last download worked on October 10th. Someone from Quicken needs to call PenFed and find out what has changed and why this is not working.
  • mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PenFed blocked aggregator access, long thread at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20314494

in short "PenFed has decided not to allow the collection of data through screen-scraping at this time"
    Best Regards
  • avic
    avic Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I just realized that PenFed recently changed how they display our credit card info. it is now a frame to

https://ch.fiservapps.com/ch/card-details/?cardRefId=99999

also note that now, to download transaction, you have to click on the triangle next to "more account info and actions" and select "download transactions"
  • reck
    reck Member ✭✭
    Options
    For what its worth, a new FI showed up called "Pentagon FCU" and this one is working.
  • avic
    avic Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2022
    Options
    > @reck said:
    > For what its worth, a new FI showed up called "Pentagon FCU" and this one is working.

I also noticed it a few weeks ago when I was on the phone with Quicken support. they told me NOT to use the new one, and use the old one, which did not work. later, on my own, I tried the new FCU one, and it did NOT work. but that was a few weeks ago. trying again now... hold on...

and success. it does seem to work, no error, and is showing me all my accounts!

edit: one transaction did not download and I had to add it by hand. will monitor.

THANK YOU!
  • Laura JJ
    Laura JJ Member ✭✭
    Options
    The new connection worked for me. Thanks, @reck!
  • cegledi
    cegledi Member ✭✭
    Options
    New connection worked for me as well. Thanks!
  • gdbush
    gdbush Member ✭✭
    Options
    OMG it is finally resolved! This is a great XMAS gift for all of us and a huge time saver! Thankfully it has FINALLY been resolved!!!
This discussion has been closed.