have to exit and reopen quicken when keyboard response gets slow

Options
JKQUESTIONS
JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
If quicken is open a long time it gets laggy with keyboard response and delays typing in the register. Can the performance or lag be fixed besides closing and reopening quicken

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    How long has Quicken been open - days?

If you go to Task Manager, how much memory is it using when it is slow? Does this go down significantly when you restart?

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One more thing, when "things get slow" again:
    Please go into Help, press Shift and click About Quicken. Capture the resulting File Information window into a PNG, JPG or GIF file and attach the file to your next Comment. This should give us some ideas on your data file and memory usage.
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > One more thing, when "things get slow" again:
    > Please go into Help, press Shift and click About Quicken. Capture the resulting File Information window into a PNG, JPG or GIF file and attach the file to your next Comment. This should give us some ideas on your data file and memory usage.

right now 112,000k memory but my storage file is 250mb( I know that's big)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > Please go into Help, press Shift and click About Quicken. Capture the resulting File Information window into a PNG, JPG or GIF file and attach the file to your next Comment. This should give us some ideas on your data file and memory usage.

right now 112,000k memory but my storage file is 250mb( I know that's big)
    Please do include the entire File Information image.

• JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    See screenshot when Recosile went in a look and hung needed task manager end it
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:

See attached for screenshot of slowness till close reopen quicken
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the File Information image.
    There are two numbers that stick out to me as being unusually large.
    Categories: 967
    Do you really need that many categories? Or can you get rid of some unused ones? And perhaps merge some others where you are nested many subcategory levels deep? Every time you add, change or delete a transaction, there's a lot of calculation involved in subtotaling and totaling from the category level up all the way to the top level, Income or Expense.
    Memorized Payees: 1018
    Do you really have a need for that many entries in your Memorized Payee List? Or did that just accumulate a lot of junk over time? Do you have many similarly spelled instances of, e.g.,  "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" instead of simply "Starbucks"?
    You can use Edit / Find/Replace to select transactions by payee name and replace the variations with a distinct name.
    IMHO, cleaning up this list will help with your typing slowness, because the payee names table is smaller.

To trim the list and keep it in shape you can also do this:

In Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have a checkmark at
    [_] "Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months"
    and set [xx] to something like "18". Do not set it to zero. IMHO, you should set the number to 12 or higher for best results, so that once-a-year payees don't vanish.

Restart Quicken for the change to take effect and housekeeping to clean up the Memorized Payee List.

Check the File Information box again to see the reduced count.

Budgets
    How many different, unused budget tables (named budgets like Budget, Budget 2, Budget 2016, etc. do you have in your data file? Quicken, for every transaction recalculates all budget tables, whether in use or not. Reducing the number of budget tables on file improves performance.
    To delete an unused budget table: select it to open it, click Budget Actions / Delete this budget.

• Jim_Harman
    Options
    Also 63,539 transactions seems like a lot, especially if they are all in a few active accounts. Go to Tools > Account list then click on Options and Show number of transactions if it is not already selected. What is the highest number of transaction you have in one account?
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > Thanks for the File Information image.
    > There are two numbers that stick out to me as being unusually large.Categories: 967Do you really need that many categories? Or can you get rid of some unused ones? And perhaps merge some others where you are nested many subcategory levels deep? Every time you add, change or delete a transaction, there's a lot of calculation involved in subtotaling and totaling from the category level up all the way to the top level, Income or Expense.
    > Memorized Payees: 1018Do you really have a need for that many entries in your Memorized Payee List? Or did that just accumulate a lot of junk over time? Do you have many similarly spelled instances of, e.g.,  "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS
    > TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" instead of simply "Starbucks"?You can use Edit / Find/Replace to select transactions by payee name and replace the variations with a distinct name.
    > IMHO, cleaning up this list will help with your typing slowness, because the payee names table is smaller.To trim the list and
    > keep it in shape you can also do this:
    >
    > In Edit /
    > Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have a checkmark at
    >
    >
    > [_] "Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months"
    >
    > and set [xx] to something like "18". Do not set it to zero. IMHO, you
    > should set the number to 12 or higher for best results, so that once-a-year
    > payees don't vanish.
    >
    > Restart Quicken for
    > the change to take effect and housekeeping to clean up the Memorized Payee
    > List.
    >
    > Check the File
    > Information box again to see the reduced count.
    >
    > Budgets
    > How many different, unused budget tables (named budgets like Budget, Budget 2, Budget 2016, etc. do you have in your data file? Quicken, for every transaction recalculates all budget tables, whether in use or not. Reducing the number of budget tables on file improves performance.
    > To delete an unused budget table: select it to open it, click Budget Actions / Delete this budget.

My issue is it works fine for a day being open then it slows down over time I try to keep it open all the time. I do not think the numbers are to high because if it can do it for 24 hours before slowing down then it seems more like a memory leak bug that quicken needs to fix rather then having to clean memorized payees and transactions. So my belief it is a bug memory leak
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    How much physical memory does your system have?

I have 8 GB and a rotating hard drive, and find that Quicken often runs slowly after it has been loaded for some time and I have been using other applications. I think this is due to Quicken's memory reloading after being swapped out. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There may well be a memory leak which the programmers need to investigate.
    However, I recommend that you close Quicken every day, when you're done using it for the day, and let the Close process create backups for you, both the Manual and the Automatic Type. That gives you backups of your Quicken data file every day. Should something go poof during a day, at most you only lose one day's worth of transactions instead of a week or more.
    In Edit / Preferences / Backup enable both Automatic and Manual backups and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].
    And please do the recommended changes from my earlier response, to help overall performance.
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > How much physical memory does your system have?
    >
    > I have 8 GB and a rotating hard drive, and find that Quicken often runs slowly after it has been loaded for some time and I have been using other applications. I think this is due to Quicken's memory reloading after being swapped out. 

yes I believe quicken needs to refresh or optimize after being open for some time I wish it do without closing and reopening. I ref to leave it open all the time
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > There may well be a memory leak which the programmers need to investigate.
    > However, I recommend that you close Quicken every day, when you're done using it for the day, and let the Close process create backups for you, both the Manual and the Automatic Type. That gives you backups of your Quicken data file every day. Should something go poof during a day, at most you only lose one day's worth of transactions instead of a week or more.In Edit / Preferences / Backup enable both Automatic and Manual backups and set
    > "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].And please do the recommended changes from my earlier response, to help overall performance.

How do we get the info to uicken to investigate the memory leak
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I also see Quicken data entry slowing (seconds per keystroke) to paint a character after working for less than an hour. Closing and restarting Quicken restores normal response speed again. The CPU utilization for the program jumps to over 50% when app stalled on a keystroke. Then drops down again when the character is painted. I've only noticed this behavior for the past month or two... fine before that. QHB Rental on Windows 10. Please fix this problem.
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @HJH Consult said:
    > I also see Quicken data entry slowing (seconds per keystroke) to paint a character after working for less than an hour. Closing and restarting Quicken restores normal response speed again. The CPU utilization for the program jumps to over 50% when app stalled on a keystroke. Then drops down again when the character is painted. I've only noticed this behavior for the past month or two... fine before that. QHB Rental on Windows 10. Please fix this problem.

Yes quicken support Please fix
  • Jim_Harman
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @JKQUESTIONS,

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions.

• JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @JKQUESTIONS said:
    > > @UKR said:
    > > One more thing, when "things get slow" again:
    > > Please go into Help, press Shift and click About Quicken. Capture the resulting File Information window into a PNG, JPG or GIF file and attach the file to your next Comment. This should give us some ideas on your data file and memory usage.
    >
    > right now 112,000k memory but my storage file is 250mb( I know that's big)

Now at 967 entries and I set to remove older then 27 months to cover 2 year payees
    How do I force it to do housekeeping I closed and reopened
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now at 967 entries and I set to remove older then 27 months to cover 2 year payees
    How do I force it to do housekeeping I closed and reopened
    It normally does reduce the count of MPL entries, provided that nothing messed with the Last Used timestamp (see Tools / Memorized Payee List).
    You may have to do a little manual pruning of the list, removing MPL entries which you know are no longer used.

• JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > It normally does reduce the count of MPL entries, provided that nothing messed with the Last Used timestamp (see Tools / Memorized Payee List).You may have to do a little manual pruning of the list, removing MPL entries which you know are no longer used.

I still hope quicken support sees these post and improves performance I also submitted to support no response yet
  • Randall
    Randall Member ✭✭
    Options
    This is a recent problem, that i am also starting to experience. I have often left the Quicken file open for extended periods of time without any issue. Here in the last month or so is when this problem started so something was introduced in one of the updates that is the source of this issue, not just leaving it open for a long time. Sorry that I do not have a solution to offer but closing the file every day, pruning your file, getting rid of classifications, none of that is a solution. I hate looking in the forums and calling into support as that is always the "go to" suggestion. The items suggested are a workaround at best, to resolve an issue that didn't exist until recently. Its something introduced in a recent update and the developers need to identify and resolve the issue, not have customers deleting their data.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > See this thread, this might be what is happening to you guys:
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7923154/slowdowns-and-not-enough-memory-to-proceed-errors

yep that's seems to be the issue hopefully they patch it soon
  • ErikO
    ErikO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    This is more likely what is happening. [Removed - Speculation]
  • ErikO
    ErikO Member ✭✭
    Options
    Forgot the link. LOL

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7923154/slowdowns-and-not-enough-memory-to-proceed-errors
This discussion has been closed.