Apple Card sync (lack of)

Options
SteveOReeno
SteveOReeno Member ✭✭
I guess we're in the dark ages. Why in the world do I have to MANUALLY download monthly statements from Apple Card to import into Quicken?? [Removed - Sarcasm]  I need a single pane of glass for all of my accounts that contains current info at all times. Otherwise, what's the point? [Removed - 3rd Party Software] allows sync with Apple Card. What is going on here? If I can't get a satisfactory answer on this, I will be asking for a refund. This is crazy!

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Apple, like every other financial institution, owns deciding which download method(s) they will support.  For whatever reason, they opted to support only the Web Connect (manual download) method.  They will need to contract with Intuit (the Quicken aggregator partner) to add a different connection method for initiating downloads into Quicken from within Quicken, such as Quicken Connect (Express Web Connect in Windows) or Direct Connect.
    You might want to read these short threads on this subject:

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @SteveOReeno I understand your frustration, but your complaint is with Apple, not Quicken. Quicken will gladly download whatever accounts financial institutions make available. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SteveOReeno
    SteveOReeno Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Boatnmaniac Thanks for your response. The other 3rd party software, which I can't mention here because it will be redacted, is an Intuit company, is FREE and does sync with Apple Card perfectly. I figured if the free product can do it, surely a paid version can do it. I don't like the free version because of all the advertising, that's why I opted for and paid for Quicken. I would really like to hear from someone at Quicken to explain this.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I would really like to hear from someone at Quicken to explain this
    @SteveOReeno It's fair to ask, but you won't hear any explanation from the Quicken site moderators on this. It basically comes down to what's been written above: if the financial institution choose to support Quicken connectivity or not. It's not an issue of technical capability; Quicken works with more than 10,000 financial institutions. If M--t connects with Apple Card, and if it downloads individual transactions, then it's because Apple/Goldman decided to allow that. Perhaps they're trying that before expanding it to additional third-party software like Quicken. In some cases, Intuit charges a fee to financial institutions for connectivity, so perhaps there's a fee involved and Apple/Goldman doesn't want to pay it. Or perhaps there are other technical or support issues which have led to them not supporting Quicken connectivity. Only the Apple Card folks can answer the "why" question. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Boatnmaniac Thanks for your response. The other 3rd party software, which I can't mention here because it will be redacted, is an Intuit company, is FREE and does sync with Apple Card perfectly. I figured if the free product can do it, surely a paid version can do it. I don't like the free version because of all the advertising, that's why I opted for and paid for Quicken. I would really like to hear from someone at Quicken to explain this.
    It is my understanding that Quicken and that Intuit financial software (which shall remain unnamed) use different connection and download protocols.  What Quicken uses is a proprietary method and what is used by the other is an industry standard method.  So what happens with one will not necessarily translate to the other.  Why Apple decided to support which methods is something only Apple can answer but it's pretty likely it had something to do with financials (cash, labor and capital investment requirements).
    My guess:  There is a new industry standard for downloading data called FDX that is rolling out.  Intuit's/Quicken response to that is EWC+.  Perhaps Apple knew that EWC+ was in the works and decided to wait until EWC+ could be cut in with their card issuer so they wouldn't need to incur development/implementation costs 2X.  It's just a guess.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.