Vanguard converted all my individual mutual funds into a single Brokerage account. how to set his up

redssd
redssd Member
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
All the individual mutual funds will be consolidated into an account identified as brokerage. How do I do this without losing data or duplicating the data?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You imply that each of the mutual funds is currently in its own account in Quicken. Is that the way you have it set up?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • redssd
    redssd Member
    yes that is the case
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    I assume all the IRAs were similar in the sense of all "traditional" or all Roth?
    Probably what I'd do here is first set up the new brokerage Account as an offline (no downloading) Account.  Then, in each IRA I'd do a "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action, moving all the securities into the new Account.  That will leave the transactions in the old IRAs, and that's perfectly fine: those transactions will always be available to you should you need to refer to them or use them in any way.
    Having got all the detail of all your holdings on a lot by lot basis into the new Account, and ensuring that everything is copacetic, at that point you can add the Vanguard Account as a connected (downloading) Account; when you've been identified by Vanguard and the new brokerage account is found LINK that account at Vanguard to the manual version of Vanguard you've already set up.
    Presumably you can then delete all the downloaded transactions from Vanguard because they already exist in your file.
  • redssd
    redssd Member
    Would the same rational apply to non ira accounts
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    redssd said:
    Would the same rational apply to non ira accounts

Yes, There should be one new account for each type of account you have - Tavable, Traditional IRA, and Roth.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.