checking account projected balances way off

Options
dpkumph
dpkumph Member ✭✭
My projected checking account balances are way off - by about -$2,500. All other accounts are correct. I have searched and found others with the same problem, but no solutions offered work. Windows 10, R44.27, Build 27.1.44.27. I've tried to search for past-due transactions and am not able to locate any, how do I do this? I called support, waited for 30 minutes, and once connected there was so much background noise I couldn't hear the support person, and then was disconnected with no callback.

Comments

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @dpkumph - before tackling the projected balances are 'off', can you please

1) confirm that the account reconciles as of today (or the last statement) with the Bank?  the projection may be off because the account doesn't reconcile to begin with

2) can you explain more about the projected balances are incorrect.  How many checking accounts are you refering to (as you use the plural).  where are you reviewing the projections? in the register? in the calendar view?  more detail please!!!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dpkumph said:
    I've tried to search for past-due transactions and am not able to locate any, how do I do this?
    If by "past-due transactions" you are referring to "past-due Scheduled Reminders", they should be sticking out like sore thumbs when you look in
    • Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders, All Bills & Deposits tab. Sort the view by Due Date (click on the column header). All past due reminders will be at the top, clearly marked.
    • the individual account register. Sort the register by the Status column (leftmost column, titled with a blue dot). All past due reminders will be grouped together, with an appropriate past due Status icon.
  • dpkumph
    dpkumph Member ✭✭
    Options
    thanks for the help...Yes, the account reconciles and has for a couple of years. This is one single checking account. I am reviewing the projections in the projected balances graph view and comparing them to what the projected balance in the checking account indicates over time with entered transactions. Regarding the 2 past-due reminder methods, I checked both, none are indicated.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @dpkumph - then it should be quite easy to begin with the date you last reconciled and confirm that the balance in calendar view matches EXACTLY to the balance in the register.  Then from that date forward, match each and every transaction displayed in calendar view against the check register and look the the transactions that do not match.  

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue (the Projected Balances view and the last screen of your register with today's and future transactions or reminders), sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• dpkumph
    dpkumph Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks again for all the responses, I appreciate the help:
    @Mark1104 I agree it should be easy. I balance every month, its never off. However the projected view has drifted over time and is now not useful as it is approx -$2,700.
    @UKR - snips attached of the register, which is balanced and matches the online account and has since settting up in 2018 +/-, and the projected balance window, which is off. It is obviously off by the same amount in this small time window, however, it changes over time and seems to be getting more negative. What am I missing? thanks
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @dpkumph - some ideas:

1) confirm that the projected view is only selecting the ONE bank account
    2) have you completed a 'validate and repair' on the file? 

the problem is the projected view is not using the same balance as the bank account register.  

the register balance is $4098.06 and the projected view is beginning with $1331.91.... all the projected transactions match, so it is something to do with the beginning balance. 

I checked my similar projected balance screen and the beginning balance for the projection matches the current bank account register balance....   
  • dpkumph
    dpkumph Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the continued support @Mark1104 - yes, the projected view is looking at the same account and only that account. I have done a few validate and repairs recently without any problems....I agree with your statement, they are using a different balance, but I thought the projected balance was simply another way of looking at the same data...which I guess is obviously not the case.
  • dpkumph
    dpkumph Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Mark1104 - to that point, if I could simply "trick" the projected balance by entering an adjustment I would, but I presume to do that, I would be entering a transaction in my checking account to do the trick, which of course would affect that balance by the same amount.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @dpkumph - have you tried super-validate, otherwise, I am stumped......agree that 'tricking is not a good idea,  if you change to calendar view, is it the same problem? (CNTL-K)
  • dpkumph
    dpkumph Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Mark1104 - I think you found it! - or at least part of it. The calendar view shows a repeating, overdue reminder for my old verizon cell phone bill in the past. It is listed in bills. I cannot delete the damn thing because it says I have pending payments. Please see the attached image...any next steps here? I suspect this is the problem and this explains why it has been getting incrementally worse over time.
  • dpkumph
    dpkumph Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Mark1104 that is definitely it. when I go back through the calendar months and try to remove the past due verizon reminders, the only choice is ignore, which I click, but the reminder appears to stay even after the process. How can I scrub this old junk out of my system? I have 15 past due reminders of $184.41...which totals the exact amount I am off by - $2,766.15! thank you again for sticking with me on this.
  • dpkumph
    dpkumph Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Mark1104 - persistence pays off - with help of course - I was not able to do anything about the past Verizon reminders, however, I went to the next month - November 2022, and deleted the reminder which was coming up again, and deleted it, which deleted all - including the past due reminders, and now my projected balance matches my checking account balance - thank you very much! I hope this thread helps others too - thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.