Stupid question time - why do I need to "login" to access local files?

Charlie2640
Charlie2640 Member ✭✭
Subject says it all. Quicken is installed on *my* hard drive. It accesses files on *my* hard drive. I'm not doing an update, and I do not sync to Quicken Cloud. Yep, no way.

So... there have been times I've been on the road with network connection issues. I can't login to access my local files?

It sort of makes me think there are some shenanigans going on.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Your data file might be local, but that doesn’t mean all of the information is.
    It nothing else all versions of Quicken since 2014 have been using a Quicken Id which is checked periodically (online) not to mention it checks for new updates and such.  Every Quicken data file as an associated Quicken Cloud dataset on the Quicken servers.  What is stored in that dataset varies by what services you use.

Quicken can be used “offline”, but in their efforts to make it “seamless” it can do some really strange things, and even get you into a mode where you might not be able to get into your data file without network access.

The way it seems to work is if they get a network error right off the bat when starting it goes into offline mode, but if they get a network connection, but for whatever reason can’t contact the Quicken server then it can get into a mode where it invalidates the Quicken Id login and forces you to login again before you can access the data file.

So, if you want to force offline mode you should start with your network connection disabled or if you are only on WiFi put your computer in Airplane mode.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken has you "login" so that it can tell if your subscription is active and eligible for downloading/online banking functions, it doesn't have anything to do with where your data is.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Your data file might be local, but that doesn’t mean all of the information is.
    It nothing else all versions of Quicken since 2014 have been using a Quicken Id which is checked periodically (online) not to mention it checks for new updates and such.  Every Quicken data file as an associated Quicken Cloud dataset on the Quicken servers.  What is stored in that dataset varies by what services you use.

Quicken can be used “offline”, but in their efforts to make it “seamless” it can do some really strange things, and even get you into a mode where you might not be able to get into your data file without network access.

The way it seems to work is if they get a network error right off the bat when starting it goes into offline mode, but if they get a network connection, but for whatever reason can’t contact the Quicken server then it can get into a mode where it invalidates the Quicken Id login and forces you to login again before you can access the data file.

So, if you want to force offline mode you should start with your network connection disabled or if you are only on WiFi put your computer in Airplane mode.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Charlie2640
    Charlie2640 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you. I've been using Quicken for so long that I keep forgetting that I'm no longer an owner but a subscriber. "so that it can tell if your subscription is active and eligible" I think sums it up as well as other stuff Chris said.

Makes a little more sense now.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time your subscription can go inactive is in the first 30 days after activation (cancellation window) and after the end of your subscription year. There is no need for Quicken to be phoning home to check your subscription status outside of those time frames. 

It’s as waste of network traffic and can cause issues in offline use of Quicken. Quicken Inc should make the subscription check smarter and less intrusive.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Charlie2640
    Charlie2640 Member ✭✭
    Well, I agree, but I rarely see Quicken responding to users' complaints. Wait, that's wrong, I've NEVER seen quicken respond to user complaints about their business model.
This discussion has been closed.