Quicken automatically silently adds transaction to resolve out of balance security position

Options
Ploooplooo
Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
Hi Quicken Community,

I'm running Quicken for Mac v 6.10.2 on macOS 13.0.

Quicken is adding transactions without notification to resolve what it sees as an out of balance security position. Making this even more maddening, it adds it on the earliest date in my register which in this case is Jan 2014 for a T-Bill that didn't even exist for another 8 years. Fortunately my keen eye noticed that I was richer than I thought I was and then spent an hour hunting down the source of this problem. Admittedly, the transaction is uncleared, so I would have found it when reconciling, but until then my balance was overstated.

I personally, don't like things like this to happen automatically - if there is an out of balance position I prefer to identify it during reconciliation and fix it myself. I especially don't like things to happen automatically completely silently in the background.

Is there a way to turn off this "feature"? Thanks!

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Ploooplooo,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

I believe what you're referring to are placeholders. While there isn't a way to turn off this feature, this Help Article provides instructions on how to resolve them.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @Quicken Anja Placeholders do appear to be my problem. These are very sneaky as there is no warning that they are being inserted, they are buried deep down on the register history, and they actually do affect the portfolio value which is extremely important.

-Plooo
This discussion has been closed.