Want to convert QMac 2017 to run on new install of QWin 2017

Options
circusmaven
circusmaven Member
I have quicken 2017 std for mac and want to convert it and install 2017 deluxe (CD) on my new PC computer which has windows 10 pro

Best Answers

• DocGer
    DocGer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What he means is that unless you have a verified install of Quicken Windows 2017 available on another machine, you won't be able to install a working copy on a new PC.

You can install it...but it won't open as the screen to enter your Quicken ID and password has been disabled, thus freezing the application.

The people at Quicken Inc are so benevolent.
  • DocGer
    DocGer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Use "Start over and create a new data file".

Then, IF Quicken Windows actually opens, you can select FILE > IMPORT and select the .qxf file type (NOT .qfx).

BTW, the .qxf file will not transfer your investment accounts and transactions, reports, scheduled transactions, etc.  

IF you get a blank white window instead, you're dead in the water and you've encountered Quicken Inc's nefarious decision to stop new installations of Quicken Windows 2014-2017.

The white screen is usually where you would enter your Quicken ID and password for your data file...but alas, Quicken Inc has locked all "new" installations by not allowing that screen for entry.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2017 CD: The highway robbery price on eBay was certainly a brightly flashing signal that something might be amiss. ;) Have you tried launching Quicken 2017 on your Windows machine, starting a new file, and creating a manual bank account -- just as a test. If it lets you log into Quicken for this, it might work for a converted file. If it flat out doesn't work, then you might try following eBay's procedures to disputer the purchase; if the seller sold you software which does not work because it is expired, you might prevail. 

Converting: As others have noted, you should be starting from a blank new file and then trying to import the QXF file. Will it work and cleanly convert your data? I don't know, and no one here can tell you with any certainty. The only way to know for sure is to try it with your data.

Non-subscription product: Quicken doesn't allow discussion of other software products on this site, but I'd just say to investigate fully before you make that leap. Some are ad supported and annoying to use; some are free but monetize by seeing your data. Some seem to be free but end up requiring a subscription. If Quicken fits your needs, consider whether it's worth the annual cost to just keep using it.

Using Quicken with a lapsed subscription: yes, you are correct that if you purchase a Quicken Deluxe subscription, and let it expire after one year, you will be able to continue using the software manually (no transaction downloads) indefinitely (until some change in Windows breaks something in Quicken), with the right 20% of your Quicken window used for a message to try to convince you to renew. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, Quicken has disabled logins to your Quicken ID in pre-subscription versions of Quicken. Also, the conversion from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows doesn't support investment accounts.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Updated topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• circusmaven
    Options
    Thank you for the info but I just want to be sure before I give up trying - I installed the new 2017 Quicken Deluxe for Windows on my new PC successfully - I do not have a previous windows install, only the 2017 version on a Mac - I exported and created a .qxf onto a thumb drive - it shows up on my PC but not when I open the program, its like it doesn't exist - it simply does not recognize it - and I tried drag and drop and it says cannot be opened - am I dead in the water ?
  • circusmaven
    Options
    Also, The program opens ok - no issue there
  • circusmaven
    Options
    Thx - when I open it I get a choice of "I'm new" or "I'm upgrading" and when I pick "I'm upgrading" "open and convert an existing file" - I get "select an existing data file to get started" and get to pick "open a data file located on this computer" or "restore a data file I've backed up to a CD, disc or online" or "start over and create a new data file" - I've tried all three - it just won't "see" my .qxf file anywhere
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just to be clear.  Quicken Windows data files are of a type QDF. You are importing the data in a QXF file into the Quicken data file, not directly opening a QXF file as if it was a Quicken data file.

Also, Quicken Windows Starter doesn't have the QXF import feature, you need Deluxe or above.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • circusmaven
    Options
    Thanks for the clarifications. I'm trying to decide what to do. I am angry as I just purchased the Q Deluxe 2017 CD at a premium thinking I could import the .qxf file. (The seller on ebay sells them brand new for $179+tax knowing they don't work? and no refunds, that's 3 yrs of subscription !!!) I do everything manually and have not required support. I do not maintain investment accts or online banking downloads. My Q for Mac 2017 file dates back to 2013. I do not want to lose all the history (I like to run single and multi-year category and payee reports) but am tempted to start fresh at the beginning of the year with another non-subscription product and keep the mac version for queries. Any other suggestions? I understand if I do a 1 yr subscription and then not renew I will be able to use it but with the 20% ad on the screen that cannot be removed, correct? I also read that conversions don't always work like the original, lots of issues, is that also correct? Thank you all for your time and expertise.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2017 CD: The highway robbery price on eBay was certainly a brightly flashing signal that something might be amiss. ;) Have you tried launching Quicken 2017 on your Windows machine, starting a new file, and creating a manual bank account -- just as a test. If it lets you log into Quicken for this, it might work for a converted file. If it flat out doesn't work, then you might try following eBay's procedures to disputer the purchase; if the seller sold you software which does not work because it is expired, you might prevail. 

Converting: As others have noted, you should be starting from a blank new file and then trying to import the QXF file. Will it work and cleanly convert your data? I don't know, and no one here can tell you with any certainty. The only way to know for sure is to try it with your data.

Non-subscription product: Quicken doesn't allow discussion of other software products on this site, but I'd just say to investigate fully before you make that leap. Some are ad supported and annoying to use; some are free but monetize by seeing your data. Some seem to be free but end up requiring a subscription. If Quicken fits your needs, consider whether it's worth the annual cost to just keep using it.

Using Quicken with a lapsed subscription: yes, you are correct that if you purchase a Quicken Deluxe subscription, and let it expire after one year, you will be able to continue using the software manually (no transaction downloads) indefinitely (until some change in Windows breaks something in Quicken), with the right 20% of your Quicken window used for a message to try to convince you to renew. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.