Chase Bank Pay

The latest Quicken update says the Chase Bank Pay works again. I have tried to change the connection for my chase accounts to Direct Connect but that option is grayed out. Any idea what I have to do the get Bank Pay to work again with my Chase accounts?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The release notes above. The very fist line under IMPROVED says Chase eBills are back,
    Right after "Chase eBills" is more information about what that process is:  "Use your Chase Credit Card or Chase Line of Credit accounts to automatically track bill information and make bill payments." 
    That is not the same thing as Chase Bank Pay (more commonly called Bank Bill Pay) which is sending bill payment commands from within Quicken directly to your checking account's bill payment service.  This process requires Direct Connect and as mentioned by @Chris_QPW Chase has discontinued support for Direct Connect and will not be supporting it in the future.  Unfortunately, that means Bank Bill Pay with Chase will not be coming back.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    @BoyertownPR - A Moderator confirmed that what was stated in my previous post is correct and stated:  "Chase eBills...is simply the Mac term for what Online Bills are in Windows. The Chase eBill (online bill) has been made available in Quicken for Mac now which allows users to track the bill in Quicken and pay it using Quick Pay if the user has Quick Pay enabled."

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know where you heard that this is "fixed", but Direct Connect is required for Chase Bank Pay and Chase dropped Direct Connect for Express Web Connect + and it isn't coming back.

Maybe you are referring to another problem because the terms are quite similar "Quick Pay".
    Quick Pay is part of Quicken Bill Manager (the other part being Check Pay).  Quick Pay is when the third-party service that Quicken uses for Quicken Bill Manager is able to send an ACH transfer to pay the bill.
    For whatever reason this hasn't been working since Chase changed over from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect +, and maybe that is what was fixed.

I checked the main announcement on this, and it doesn't say that it is fixed:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915491/important-update-about-chase-online-bills-in-quicken#latest

If you can post the URL of where it says that it has been fixed then maybe the confusion can be cleared up.
    Here is a tip on this forum.  If you right click on the time/date of a comment you can copy the link and then post into the comment.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BoyertownPR
    BoyertownPR Member ✭✭
    Version 6.10 (October-November 2022)

Our latest improvements to Quicken make it easier and faster for you to get to your financial data.

New
    NEW The new Dashboard cards in your Home tab provide access to your data at-a-glance and productivity tools as well. (Card colors are only available in macOS 10.15 or later)
    NEW The Add Account workflow has been streamlined and modernized to improve your experience when adding accounts to Quicken. (Only available in macOS 10.15 or later)

Improved
    IMPROVED Chase eBills are back. Use your Chase Credit Card or Chase Line of Credit accounts to automatically track bill information and make bill payments.
    IMPROVED More Sidebar Account Options. Use the new sidebar contextual menu options to quickly hide an account, mark it closed, or keep it separate.
    IMPROVED Bills & Income performance. Switching between tabs (Bills, Income, Payees, Projected Balances, and Activity) or sorting by any column is instantaneous regardless of how many scheduled transactions you have.
    FIXED Fixed over 30 issues to maintain high quality and promote consistency throughout the product.
  • BoyertownPR
    BoyertownPR Member ✭✭
    The release notes above. The very fist line under IMPROVED says Chase eBills are back,
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Right after "Chase eBills" is more information about what that process is:  "Use your Chase Credit Card or Chase Line of Credit accounts to automatically track bill information and make bill payments." 
    That is not the same thing as Chase Bank Pay (more commonly called Bank Bill Pay) which is sending bill payment commands from within Quicken directly to your checking account's bill payment service.  This process requires Direct Connect and as mentioned by @Chris_QPW Chase has discontinued support for Direct Connect and will not be supporting it in the future.  Unfortunately, that means Bank Bill Pay with Chase will not be coming back.

• BoyertownPR
    BoyertownPR Member ✭✭
    Ok. I read that too. So what do they mean by “IMPROVED Chase eBills are back” and “Use your Chase Credit Card to make bill payments” ? I also have a chase credit card. How do you make bill payments without direct connect. What exactly is back then?
  • Boatnmaniac
    @BoyertownPR - I just realized you reference a QMac new release.  You posted this under QWin.  I asked for a Moderator to get this corrected.
    I had not heard of "Chase eBills" before...it is not a term and perhaps not a feature of QWin.  My guess is that it is Quicken Bill Manager QuickPay but I am not sure.  I also asked that a Moderator post a comment here to explain it.

• BoyertownPR
    BoyertownPR Member ✭✭
    Oops. My mistake. I did not realize I posted under windows until now. Thank you.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2022
    @BoyertownPR - No problem.  I should have picked up on that earlier because you did post the version of the release notes you were referring to.
    BTW, I did some more research and from what I can tell is that Chase eBills is a Chase service, not a Quicken service.  Per their website:  "Once you're enrolled in Online Bill Pay, you can sign up to get eBills which is an electronic version of the paper bill or statement you receive each month from any company including telecom, utilities or retailers. The electronic bill will include all the same details and information your paper bill contains."https://www.chase.com/digital/online-bill-pay
    After you have signed up for Chase eBills you can then do Quicken Bill Manager Quick Pay which uses Chase's eBill service to pay bills with Quick Pay.   You might want to read up more on it here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-make-payments-using-quick-pay-and-check-pay#section-2.  Scroll down to the Quicken for Mac section.
    You can also read up on how to set up Bill Manager here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/quicken-bill-manager-how-set-quick-pay-and-check-pay.
    Well, at least this is my understanding.  And it makes sense that Quicken says "Chase eBills are back" because when Chase transitioned from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect+ not only was Bank Bill Pay lost but Online Bills and Quick Pay was lost.  Quicken announced back when the transition was starting that they were working on a way to restore Quick Pay (& Online Bills?) so it sounds like at least for QMac it might now be restored.
    If I am mistaken about any of this I'm pretty sure someone will correct me.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    @BoyertownPR - A Moderator confirmed that what was stated in my previous post is correct and stated:  "Chase eBills...is simply the Mac term for what Online Bills are in Windows. The Chase eBill (online bill) has been made available in Quicken for Mac now which allows users to track the bill in Quicken and pay it using Quick Pay if the user has Quick Pay enabled."

This discussion has been closed.