• dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Crickets, after a week. 
    Congrats Quicken team.
  • rscotty
    rscotty Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, finally. The 46.12 update fixed the issue for me. Good news for a change.
  • jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm going to resurrect this topic because it appears that the 47.15 update has reintroduced some of the object leaks. Since upgrading to 47.15 I've noticed some degradation of performance and that both User and GDI objects (especially the latter) are growing again. It is NOT as bad as it was prior to 46.12 but it isn't as good as prior to 47.15.

• Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are correct, particularly the GDI. In fact, I have had GDI max out at 10K causing Quicken to freeze up.

• tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I received an email late Sunday night (2/26) from the Quicken team with a link to a release candidate of R48 along with a note indicating that they have “addressed the GDI objects leaks that was causing Quicken to freeze or crash.” They asked if I could install and provide feedback, so I've pulled that build down this morning and am giving it a shot.

Perhaps some of you received the same email, but I wanted to share this since it was great to hear that the Dev team has been actively working on this and that a more widespread fix may be rolling out shortly.

• Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Keep us posted.

It is strange Quicken team did not use the secure email of the Quicken Community.

• tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I provided feedback to the Quicken team yesterday that, although certainly improved over the old R45 release, I was still seeing some leakage over time of both User and GDI resources, to the point Quicken required a restart after 3 days of being left open continuously (and during which time it got heavy use as I was doing taxes).

Although they did not confirm it, it seems like part of their solution may be that they are limiting the number of screens/registers held in memory, unloading the least-recently-used register once some limit is reached. I base this guess off an observation that, if I clicked thru enough screens/registers, I would see slower performance when returning to previously opened registers (i.e. as if having to fully reload the register instead of just brining it to the foreground). Also, I would periodically see large drops in GDI usage, which I took as a sign they'd unloaded some content. I don't recall either of these behaviors previously, and this type of improvement would certainly help folks with lots of accounts.

I received a response this morning indicating that they plan to continue to make incremental improvements over time but are planning to release R48 to get more feedback from other users. Will be interesting to see what experience everyone else has since I'm sure we all use Quicken slightly differently.

• jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting. I was also contacted and downloaded the build containing the fix. I have not seen GDI objects grow over 800 and have been able to keep Quicken up for over 5 days now. I wonder why our experiences have differed.

• andrewwarrenjone
    andrewwarrenjone Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

FYI, Quiken is releasing a fix soon. See

I have had a chance to preview the release and there has been a notable improvement. I have been running Quicken for 1 week straight and haven't broken 3500 GDI objects, freezes, or crashes. The major leaks appear to have been fixed. There may be a few small isolated areas where a leak is still present but a huge improvement overall. Please update once this release once available if you've been experiencing the UI freeze / GDI leak issue. And a big kudos to the Quicken team for the quick turnaround!

This discussion has been closed.