Slowdowns and Not Enough Memory to Proceed errors

Options

Comments

• Marty
    Marty Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Problem is the same.  Continues to leak resources.  restarting quicken as the GDI and user objects gets above 7,000 will avoid slowdown and freeze.  I can't speak to the OSU slowness some have been discussing.  In my experience, once the objects gets to 9,000, it's already very slow and close to crashing. The good news is we have a work around. The bad news, we shouldn't need one.
  • Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OSU is not working.  The only accounts that get updated are those accounts that have remained Direct Connect.  I ran OSU this morning and after 45 minutes I terminated the Quicken Program,  rebooted QUICKEN, and ran an OSU on just one of the direct connect accounts and it updated.  Unfortunately, Marty is wrong our work aground does not work any longer. At least it did not work this AM
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    FYI Quicken Ver R45.21 Build 27.1.45.21 on AMD PC & Windows 10 Home 8.0GB RAM

Still working well... both update speed and keystroke response
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Jerry Pederson
    Had the same experience this morning, but killed after 10 min after seeing your comment.  45 min is more patience than could be expected.  All DC connections seemed to complete, all EWC+ connections remained in limbo.  Seems to be more an Intuit issue - on vacation for the day.  OSU always slows for the EWC update.  If you looked at the shared info they demand thru EWC, it sadly makes some sense.

Hopefully, as in the past, the end of the weekend will solve the connections/update problems.

• HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Apologies.. my comment above with version and system specs is supposed to be associated with my previous entries on the previous screen (#5?... this is showing as #6 on my screen now).
  • kpwinaz
    kpwinaz Member ✭✭
    Options
    Just weighing in as a 30+ year user, have been experiencing same issues as described extensively throughout the length and content of this thread...Will ask like other reasoned voices that Quicken Management and Development teams step up to the plate on this one and do the job that we are paying you for...
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    My assumption that problem is fixed was premature. Doing data entry and accessing reports today and seconds of response time to each keystroke has returned. I also see flashing windows... almost like multiple sessions are being invoked and any keystroke must work its way through several sessions before showing up on the screen... could it be that current existing session is not recognized and another instance is initiated? After a while, multiple sessions are running at the same time... causing huge performance degradation.
  • ErikO
    ErikO Member ✭✭
    Options
    Add my voice to all of this. Strange/slow Quicken behavior introduced sometime in the last couple of months. Screens flash when transactions are saved or registers are switched. LOTS and LOTS of changes and updates over the last several months to keep up with all the syncing changes. Now that those are done, please dedicate your engineers to fixing all the bugs & memory leaks they have introduced!
  • jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I was hopeful that the newest release (46.9) would have fixed this issue. Alas, the issues are still there. In fact, some things (like matching security dialog) are now SLOWER. I suppose I should not have expected the user experience to improve.
  • Burstiner
    Burstiner Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Deluxe (version:R4521, build: 27.45.21)
    Experiencing unbelievable slowdowns for months now. 25+ year user. I also close out Quicken often to speed it back up but that's a bandaid at best. It's still slow but almost tolerable. If I do a few things, it just keeps getting slower until it's so slow as to be unusable. That's with not even running OSU. I also have 32GB RAM. My computer is a homebuilt Threadripper. It's fast on everything but Quicken. I have also literally waited maybe five minutes just to process one check! I've also noticed that when I tab into the Category field, it gets even slower. Typing in that field is a character at a time. You can type ahead and then sit and watch it fill one character every few seconds. If there were a viable alternative to Quicken, I'd jump immediately. As a long time user, I've tolerated bugs that have existed from the beginning and are still not fixed. It's time Quicken stopped trying to change things or add features and concentrate on making the current product stable.
  • Cris S
    Cris S Member ✭✭
    Options
    I also just upgraded to the latest release this morning, hoping for something that would fix this issue. The product becomes unusable throughout the day. I wish I could upload a video to show how excruciatingly painful doing simple tasks such as selecting a different account is, so that support could see there is a real problem here that needs to be addressed.

I also have received my first "Not enough memory to proceed" error. Over the past few months, I've tolerated the slow downs by restarting Quicken (something I never did before; I've always been one of those leave it up and running types), but now getting this error.

I come from a software development background and these memory leaks are just incredibly frustrating to see happen in any product, much less a commercial product. I can't speak to what is going on at Quicken, but in my years of experience, it is typically junior or beginning developers that make these kinds of mistakes.
  • Jerry Pederson
    edited January 2023
    Options
    How do we get the attention and a response from a member of the President's team?  I have sent messages to the Office of the President. [Removed - Disruptive/Speculation]

• Burstiner
    Burstiner Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was a premier subscriber which is supposed to also include premium support. I've sent in issues and never ever received an acknowledgment of the message much less a fix. When I renewed late last year I dropped down to Deluxe since Premier was just more money for nothing extra!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Premium support means you get a special toll-free number to call which purportedly moves you closer to the front of the phone queue.
    Sign in to quicken.com and see your page
    A regular user sees the 650 number and a premium support user sees the 888 number.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    jldavid47 said:
    I was hopeful that the newest release (46.9) would have fixed this issue. Alas, the issues are still there. In fact, some things (like matching security dialog) are now SLOWER. I suppose I should not have expected the user experience to improve.
    After working with the product the last couple of days I can definitively say that the problem has gotten even worse with the latest release. Really, Quicken? You are going to find yourselves with fewer paying customers if this doesn't get fixed.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I ran an OSU and, indeed, this is MUCH improved. In fact, it seems that, in general, resource utilization has been tuned across the board. After opening 10+ registers and running my OSU this morning, I saw no appreciable increase in User or GDI object usage and, in fact, both numbers are significantly lower than usual (2K for User Objects and less than 500 for GDI).

Hopefully others can confirm that these results, which look like a giant step forward! Thank you, @""Quicken Janean" and Quicken team!!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Janean I don't see any difference in OSU speeds in R46.12. DC continues to be fast and EWC+ continues to be slow.
    But I never had any serious OSU problems to begin with like freezing or crashing.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't run OSU until the morning but a quick test of R46.12 seems encouraging. I opened every account I have in Quicken which always had yielded a monotonically increasing amount of User Objects since the problem started. In my test, User Objects increased to just over 4400, then settled back to 3660. (While that still seems excessive to me it looks like an improvement). The biggest increases seemed to happen when I opened Investment Accounts. GDI objects never got above 1100. The next real test will be tomorrow morning because running my regular OSU is when objects really got out of control for me.

I need to use Quicken over a few days before I can say for sure whether this patch has truly solved the problem. Stay tuned.
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Janean

OSU hasn't been a bother for me when managing resources, only that EWC+ takes a bit longer to complete.

The R46.12 update is an improvement, showing a positive direction.  The Banking  section shows significant improvement in User resources  when cycling through registers - no downloads or approvals.  However, when opening Investing registers, User resources are still deeply impacted as before. The change in GDI is nothing short of amazing. Across the board, GDI increased about 20 units per register.  The changes also increase memory requirements, with the increase about 20 Mb for this test - total 142Mb.
    Saving the file reclaims about of User resources and costs another 20 GDI.
    Looks as if you're on the right path.
    Thanks

• Jerry Pederson
    Options
    long-awaited improvement. everything seems to be back to normal.  Now the challenge for Quicken is to develop software that does the same job Direct Connect did with Bank Bill Pay. 

Find a workable One-step entry.  EWC+ is not the answer.
  • jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    A couple of observations now that I've run OSU a couple of times.

User objects now stay constant for me during OSU. However, GDI objects continue to grow. This morning it increased GDI objects by about 400 and then by another 400 when I accepted the transactions. I don't know if this will continue, but if it does the product will eventually become unstable again.

It looks like that there has been progress. I'm not convinced the problem is completely solved.
  • andrewwarrenjone
    andrewwarrenjone Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken I don't see a big jump when performing an OSU anymore. However, I can still scroll through a register, in my particular case one with unaccepted downloaded transactions, and watch it climb by 6 GDI objects for each LINE that appears. Scanning a receipt as an attachment increases the GDI count by 300 for each receipt scanned which is strange because the GDI count only jumps when the attachment window closes. Using the nirsoft application GDIView I can see that these are mostly GDI pen objects being allocated repeatedly. The pen objects draw lines, curves, borders, etc. The register drawing code is clearly one of the culprits. Quicken should only need to allocate a handful to draw the register and reuse them.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    That's great info that should be highly useful to the Quicken Dev team. As you said, if they are leaking Pen objects, that's sloppy coding and should be easily addressable. I haven't gone thru the exercise of looking for other resource leaks, but sounds like they have quite a bit more cleanup to do. I really hope that the Quicken team continues their work on stabilizing the software as their highest priority, especially in an area as core/critical as the register.

Tagging you in the hopes you can again pass this on the Dev team for them to investigate.
  • jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @tivolo I sent the message to a member of the software development team with the post by @andrewwarrenjone and got this response:

"We have reviewed this feedback already and we’re constantly checking the posts related to quicken performance issues after we released R46.12. Rest assure we are on it, and you will gradually see improvements in upcoming releases.

Thanks!"

So, they are monitoring what we are posting here.

• rscotty
    rscotty Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just read through all 6 pages of this thread because I have obviously been experiencing the exact same issue and am tired of having to close the program and restart every time I do OSU or sometimes even when not. I'm a 25 year user with a large data file like many who have posted, but it was obvious that this was a relatively recent issue.

I have not yet tried the 46.12 release - recently, I stopped automatically updating the program every time a new release came out because some have been released prematurely and caused significant issues (recall the one that screwed up paycheck data history)? So hopefully that will resolve the issue for me, but before I move on to try it, I wanted to bring up what had me searching this post in the first place. Many years ago, I was experiencing similar slow down issues after working for extended periods of time without closing the program. I was on with tech support and they told me that the program can slow down when you have lots of accounts (registers) open in the background as has been described in this thread.

They told me a keyboard shortcut that would close the accounts operating in the background and that worked great. Each time I used the keystroke, it would close the most recent account I had open (kind of like using the back button, but the history would be closed out and the resources released). So that was a great way of releasing those resources without actually closing the entire program. And yes, this may only take a few seconds for some, but when you have an extremely large data file and have to do backups and then re-enter passwords for the program as well as the password vault, it isn't trivial and can be a pain.

However, I assumed that old "leak" was eventually fixed because I eventually didn't have as many issues anymore and so I stopped having to close background windows/accounts to regain functionality and I eventually forgot how to do it. Now that this problem returned, for the life of me I have been trying every key combination I could think of, but unable to remember how to do it. And I could not find anything after doing multiple google and forum searches, so I am not sure if these newer versions just can't do that any longer, but wanted to know if anybody else recalls how to do that. If so, please post here.

It was many years ago before the subscription type service, so maybe that function just doesn't exist anymore. In any event, thank you to all who have posted here to get Quicken to fix this issue as it is so burdensome to deal with. If updating to 46.12 doesn't fix my problem, I will return.
This discussion has been closed.