Slowdowns and Not Enough Memory to Proceed errors

Options

Comments

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I also never use Sync to Mobile/Web. The same as Chris_QPW.

• tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW
    I think starting another thread regarding the poor (and seemingly getting worse) performance of OSU would be helpful. I was considering the same but know you'll have more insight into this than I do. I just started looking thru the Quicken logs based on your comments, and I'm guessing we (and others) could share some insights into how OSU works and why things are getting worse (e.g. the move from Direct Connect to EWC/EWC+).

Also, I've noticed that the article you linked to where Quicken acknowledges the OSU performance issues is no longer showing in the "Alerts, Online Banking & Known Product Issues" forum (although your link still works). Not sure what that means, since they usually simply mark these as "RESOLVED" and leave them in the forum for historical purposes.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @tivolo thanks for letting me know they marked that announcement resolved.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GWindrider
    Options
    I have been having this same issue, and it started about the same time as others have said. Never had this problem before, then after an update sometime in November (I think), the issue started.
    I just purchased a new computer and still having the same problem, so it's not a memory problem.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    @tivolo thanks for letting me know they marked that announcement resolved.
    I don't think that is what he said.
    Also, I've noticed that the article you linked to where Quicken acknowledges the OSU performance issues is no longer showing in the "Alerts, Online Banking & Known Product Issues" forum (although your link still works). 
    I still see the 12/19/22 Announcement in this list.  It still appears to be "unresolved".
    I have seen Vanilla behaving oddly with regard to presenting discussion lists in a proper time/date sort.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @q_lurker. I did notice that that the 12/19/22 Announcement started showing up again, so not sure why it wasn't appearing for me for a while.

For the community at large, I suggest we move any further discussion about OSU performance issues (as opposed to the resource leak) to this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7924050/one-step-update-freezing-up
  • fanfare
    fanfare Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    I keep quicken open but usually close it every couple of days for a backup.
    I have Backup after running quicken: set to [ 1 ] time.
    I keep re-learning that doing anything "out of the ordinary' can produce irreversible bad results.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm curious.  Why do people like to keep Quicken open?
    It only takes a few seconds to open it (provided your Quicken/data file is operating properly).

This isn't a comment on that they shouldn't fix the problem, I just don't see the need for keeping Quicken open.
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Again, I hope everyone that leaves Quicken open when not in use realizes that your data file is also open and active. If your computer crashes, there's a power outage or your computer goes to sleep, your data file is not closed properly and can cause corruption.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW re time to open.  
    FWIW on my years old HP laptop
    First time open including check for program update, my immediate UAC rejection and no auto startup downloads 90 sec to complete open. 
    Second start of day (no program update check) 50 sec to complete open. 

Low end computer Win 10
    a bit more than a few seconds but nothing to interminable. 
    I find my Quicken open for longer periods (even overnight) because I step away and get distracted. 
    I do seem to see degraded performance with longer left-open periods consistent with your leakage comments. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @dc0063 I would bet that I refer to my Quicken data file much more than most people do, or at least did in the past.  First off, just because it used to take so little of time, I would update multiple times a day.  But the main reason is that I answer lots of questions.  And I will open it for no other reason than to make sure I have the right sequence of instructions or to take a screenshot here and there.

I use a software version control program as my backup, and so I have a record of how many times I open/close it.  And note that depending on what I'm doing I might have it open for hours, but again the real question is why people the need to leave it open days on end.  Not because one has accidentally left it open (which I too have done).

Signature:
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW
    I wasn't criticizing or making a judgement call and apologize if it seemed such.  You posed a legitimate question.  We all use the program differently. I want the programs I use constantly open. (promise of windows)
    I'm pre-DOS. I just don't see a reason why Quicken needs to be bounced on and off to maintain stability, and don't think constantly rebooting a program is a sustainable practice.
    Just me,
    /denis

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @dc0063 I didn't take that way, not need to apologize.  I was just wonder why.  Before I retired, I kept my email program open constantly because that was the only way I would get notifications.  So, I certainly understand the why one might keep some programs open all the time.  It just seems to me that Quicken has very little value being constantly open.

And I totally agree that this problem should be fixed.  No program should be left unstable like this.

EDIT:  BTW for what it is worth.  I think the risk of data file corruption from leaving Quicken open is very small. If Quicken is sitting idle, it isn't writing to its data file, and as such unlikely to be in the middle of a write that might be interrupted by say a power failure.  In the past, I do believe that Quicken would immediately update its data file, and as such there was little chance of loss of data.  These days it seems some things are delayed and as such might result in a loss of data if say Quicken crashes some period of time after your last entry.  But that is different from data corruption where the data file is left in an unknown state.
    Signature:
  • Ladewig
    Ladewig Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW I'm in and out of Quicken regularly throughout the day. It suits my way of working to have it ready when I have a moment to take care of something. Could I change how I work? Sure, but I shouldn't have to unless Quicken comes out and says "We won't fix this bug because it only causes an issue if you keep the program open longer than x hours." Until then, I expect them to work the issue.

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but folks asking why people need/want to keep it open as a response to the issue reminds me of when Steve Jobs said "you're holding it wrong" back when the iPhone 4 had antenna issues. :smile:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I found some old articles about User & GDI objects. They won't solve any Quicken problems, but they provide interesting background. As in the limits are small to maintain compatibility with 16-bit applications. Are there still any 16-bit applications? Or is Microsoft just stuck with what they have?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ladewig
    Ladewig Member ✭✭
    Options
    Those limits can be increased by editing a few registry settings for Win 10 1803 and higher. Seems that it was ignoring the registry values pre-1803. (Discussed here and various other places: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38612364/how-to-increase-the-maximum-amount-of-gdi-object-for-windows-10)

I haven't tried it since I expect all it would do is postpone the inevitable, but YMMV.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\USERProcessHandleQuota
    Range: 200 - 18,000. Default value: 10000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\USERProcessHandleQuota
    Range: 200 - 18,000. Default value: 10000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\GDIProcessHandleQuota
    Range: 200 - 65,536. Default value: 10000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\GDIProcessHandleQuota
    Range: 200 - 65,536. Default value: 10000
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I found some old articles about User & GDI objects. They won't solve any Quicken problems, but they provide interesting background. As in the limits are small to maintain compatibility with 16-bit applications. Are there still any 16-bit applications? Or is Microsoft just stuck with what they have?
    I have a feeling in a lot of cases it has more to do with the fact that even in 32-bit programs there would be code that relies on the sizes of the structures not changing.

There are definitely some cases where I think Microsoft should up the limits on some things but bumping these up just because a program is doing the wrong thing and leaking them, isn't one of them.  Better for it to crash and force them to fix it than waste resources and make everything slower.

If you are wondering about one of the limits, I think should be change it the "Icon Overlays".  Those are the icons you see like for Dropbox, OneDrive, and other programs that given you an indication of the state on the icon like this:

The max is 15 for all the programs in your system.  And note that Dropbox has 10 of these just by itself!
    Signature:
  • Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am still having problems with Quicken responding and ultimately rashing when the qw.exe bumps up against the limits of the User and GDI objects' capacity.  Are other members still experiencing the same problem? It is a real pain having to reboot Quicken 1 or 2 times a day to temporarily resolve the problem.  Never had this problem 2/3 months ago.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am still having problems with Quicken responding and ultimately rashing when the qw.exe bumps up against the limits of the User and GDI objects' capacity.  Are other members still experiencing the same problem? It is a real pain having to reboot Quicken 1 or 2 times a day to temporarily resolve the problem.  Never had this problem 2/3 months ago.
    Nothing has changed on this.
    Signature:
  • Jim in Cleveland
    Options
    This is my first time posting anything to the Quicken community boards, but I've used Quicken for almost 30 years and I too am experiencing the same problems as others reported here. Problems started about 2-3 months ago.

It's to the point where Quicken has become unusable. I will not be renewing my subscription and will most likely switch to Personal Capital.
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have tried on a faster computer in which I was using an intel I5 with 8GB and then switched to an I7 with 16GB it was only slightly better. when putting it payees the searches and re-draws of the payee selection list take longer and longer quicken is opened. I have had to close and open quicken once a day and then reboot the computer once a week to keep quicken usable. Quicken used to have much better performance. Quicken support please fix.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am still experiencing slow keystroke response after an hour or so of data entry. Closing and restarting Quicken causes the program to work normally again. Quicken, please fix this issue which I began complaining about back in November after one of your Quicken updates.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Working like normal all afternoon punching in Xmas bills!! Did Quicken vind the problem????
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    find...
This discussion has been closed.