"Grouping" transactions sorted by Payee?

Options
pdalton
pdalton Member ✭✭
I'm actually using Quicken Mobile (Android), but I'm hopeful this is the same issue in both versions.

I want to be able to SORT the Register by PAYEE in a manner that causes each unique Payee name to appear only ONCE on a single row & - by clicking on that Payee name, the Screen then will show all the transactions with that Payee. Then, by clicking again on that same name, all those transactions again "hide". Essentially, "grouping" transactions by unique Payee name.

How can I do this both in Windows, as well as in Mobile?

If this cannot now be done, how can I ask the Quicken developers to add this capability?

Here's an example of how useful this capability would be:

In Quicken, I have MANY years of transactions in a number of different accounts. From time to time, I must retrieve information about a transaction that I remember in general, but not clearly enough to recall when it occurred, in which account, the amount, or even the Payee name to be able to look for it by a regular search. I call these "fuzzy" transactions.

Almost always, these "fuzzy" transactions turn out to have a Payee name I recognize and identify as beingv"the transaction" when I see that Payee name. And, more often than not, that Payee name is either unique or a very rarely occurring Payee name.

So, what's always helped me locate these "fuzzy" transactions is to sort All Transactions by Payee, then scroll down that list of Payees until (usually) I recognize the specific Payee name and find the transaction I'm looking for.

But - as more & more transactions are added over time - the quantity of transactions with duplicate Payee names (those I probably wouldn't have forgotten anyway) increases almost exponentially. So now I find myself scrolling through pages of transactions with the identical Payee name before I again see any different Payee names. This makes the task take much more time.

Essentially, all these duplicate names makes the "haystack" A LOT larger while I'm still just trying to find that same single "needle".

But, if I could only see each unique Payee name ONCE, I could much more quickly find & recognize the unique Payee name I want & access info in or about its transaction(s), whether there are 1, 5, or 50 transactions with that Payee name.

Plus, being able to see just the list of unique Payee names would also make it easier to catch & correct all instances of a misspelled Payee name &/or to rename all instances of a particular Payee name.

Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In Quicken for Windows:  Have you looked at Reports > Spending > Itemized Payees?  When you open the report, if all the transactions are shown, simply collapse the report and it will show only the Payee names.  Once you find the Payee name you want you can expand that section and see all the transactions for that Payee.
    I do not use Quicken Mobile so I cannot assist with reporting capabilities of that tool.  Perhaps someone else will be able to pop in and answer that for you.
    Also, if you want to ask the Quicken team to consider making a change or improvement, you might want to read this: Creating and Voting for Ideas in the Community.  This is the path for how to communicate those improvement ideas to the Quicken team and they allow other users to view, comment on and vote for them.  The more who vote for an idea the more likely it is that at some point the Quicken team will add it to their development plan.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You might also note you can customize that report based on transaction amount (Advanced tab). So if you know the fuzzy transaction is over or under some amount (say $100), only those transactions will be included. 
This discussion has been closed.