Do I need to keep any of my "old" back-ups?

Options
JMc-Japan
JMc-Japan Member
I pretty much update Quicken each weekend, and therefore have weekly backups. They are starting to take up a lot of space on my computer. Once I create a new backup, is there any reason to keep an old backup? Also, just wondering: Is a new back-up any different (other than updated data) from a previous end of year back-up, i.e., do I need to keep any past "year back-ups" if my most recent back-up (I believe) includes all historic data entries. Thanks

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Each backup is a full copy of your data file, so not just incremental.  You only need 1.  But you should keep several backups in case the prior backup also has a problem.  Can you save on on a USB or burn them to a CD?  Actually saving a backup to your computer hard drive is not really a backup.  You need to backup to something external.  What if your computer crashes?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Well, yes and no.
    Yes because Quicken corrupts its data from time to time. If you discover corruption which Validate & Repair cannot fix, you'll need to restore a backup from prior to the corruption. This is a trial & error process.
    No because old backups contain time bombs if you use automatically entered scheduled transactions (aka Reminders). If you restore an old backup, all those reminders from the past will want to fire because the computer date is later than their trigger dates. If this happens, the only recourse is to temporarily set the computer date just prior to the date of the backup, then restore and update all those reminders.
    Personally, I prune my backups periodically by deleting every other one in the folder rather than cutting them off at a certain date. So I have fewer files but still have some older ones just in case they're needed.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Several times in recent months, Quicken updates have caused unrecoverable data corruption. The only remedy for this is to revert to an earlier version of Quicken and a data file from before the update.

Quicken usually creates a pre-update backup of you most recent data file, but it is a good idea to keep a backup of your own before opening your file with a new version.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It is an interesting problem of what to keep and for how long.  For instance, let's say you keep all your backups and have ones that are 10 years old.  And for whatever reason the only backup you can use is 10 years old. Would you really use it?  Rebuilding a 10-year-old data file might not even be possible.

Personally, I never have to face this decision.  I have a backup system that is does "binary differencing" to reduce the size of each file change. I have a QDF file that is 159MB and 4870 revisions of it take up 17GB.

I personally believe that people should have a good backup system and not be relying on Quicken's for this reason and for the fact that don't know of anyone that their Quicken data file is the only important file on their computer.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I would err on the side of caution having once had to restore a 3 year old backup to resolve a corruption issue with ESPPs. 

Based on reading posts here, there were a lot of data files destroyed by early versions of QW2015. Also based on reading posts here, there was a bug back in March of this year that corrupted all paycheck entries.  The only solution is to restore a pre-March backup and download/enter the intervening months’ data. Users are still finding out about that issue even now, 8 months later.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Each backup is a full copy of your data file, so not just incremental.  You only need 1.  But you should keep several backups in case the prior backup also has a problem.  Can you save on on a USB or burn them to a CD?  Actually saving a backup to your computer hard drive is not really a backup.  You need to backup to something external.  What if your computer crashes?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, yes and no.
    Yes because Quicken corrupts its data from time to time. If you discover corruption which Validate & Repair cannot fix, you'll need to restore a backup from prior to the corruption. This is a trial & error process.
    No because old backups contain time bombs if you use automatically entered scheduled transactions (aka Reminders). If you restore an old backup, all those reminders from the past will want to fire because the computer date is later than their trigger dates. If this happens, the only recourse is to temporarily set the computer date just prior to the date of the backup, then restore and update all those reminders.
    Personally, I prune my backups periodically by deleting every other one in the folder rather than cutting them off at a certain date. So I have fewer files but still have some older ones just in case they're needed.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Several times in recent months, Quicken updates have caused unrecoverable data corruption. The only remedy for this is to revert to an earlier version of Quicken and a data file from before the update.

Quicken usually creates a pre-update backup of you most recent data file, but it is a good idea to keep a backup of your own before opening your file with a new version.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It is an interesting problem of what to keep and for how long.  For instance, let's say you keep all your backups and have ones that are 10 years old.  And for whatever reason the only backup you can use is 10 years old. Would you really use it?  Rebuilding a 10-year-old data file might not even be possible.

Personally, I never have to face this decision.  I have a backup system that is does "binary differencing" to reduce the size of each file change. I have a QDF file that is 159MB and 4870 revisions of it take up 17GB.

I personally believe that people should have a good backup system and not be relying on Quicken's for this reason and for the fact that don't know of anyone that their Quicken data file is the only important file on their computer.
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I would err on the side of caution having once had to restore a 3 year old backup to resolve a corruption issue with ESPPs. 

Based on reading posts here, there were a lot of data files destroyed by early versions of QW2015. Also based on reading posts here, there was a bug back in March of this year that corrupted all paycheck entries.  The only solution is to restore a pre-March backup and download/enter the intervening months’ data. Users are still finding out about that issue even now, 8 months later.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JMc-Japan
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick feedback. Very helpful. Going forward I plan to keep the last back-up for each month of the current year and the last back-up for the previous year - so a running total of 12-17 backups. Keep a copy on both computer and thumb-drive.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JMc-Japan said:
    Thank you all for the quick feedback. Very helpful. Going forward I plan to keep the last back-up for each month of the current year and the last back-up for the previous year - so a running total of 12-17 backups. Keep a copy on both computer and thumb-drive.
    Sounds like a very good plan to me.
    Signature:
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @JMc-Japan - unless you are going to keep the thumb drive under a different roof than the computer, have you considered a cloud repository, such as OneDrive, Carbonite or Dropbox.... what happens if there is a fire or a flood will both your computer and thumbdrive get destoyed - it happens.....
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @Mark1104 .  That combined with @JMc-Japan conclusion makes the most sense.  I keep my second copy in my combination storm-shelter / disaster bunker!  Can't be too careful or too pessimistic.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JMc-Japan said:
    I pretty much update Quicken each weekend, and therefore have weekly backups. They are starting to take up a lot of space on my computer. Once I create a new backup, is there any reason to keep an old backup? Also, just wondering: Is a new back-up any different (other than updated data) from a previous end of year back-up, i.e., do I need to keep any past "year back-ups" if my most recent back-up (I believe) includes all historic data entries. Thanks

That depends on you and how you use Quicken.

Do you remove old Quicken Registers that contains closed Accounts from Quicken Data File or hide the Registers in Quicken?
    If you remove the Registers, then yes, you need to keep Backups for at least 3 years for the IRS or longer depending on your Government (Japan).

If you don't, then keep at least 3 months of Backups.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.