Grrr. Loan account becomes investment brokerage account, losing all data

Options
tim.rohrer1
tim.rohrer1 Member ✭✭✭
I am so livid. Today, I noticed a loan account listed under my brokerage accounts with a balance equal to a life insurance policy I have. Somehow, in one of Quicken's random "account disappears so you need to reconnect", when I reconnected, I believe, it got messed up. It wasn't listed as one of the accounts when I relinked.

Very disappointing as I will have to delete this account (there is no way to change it back to a loan account from being an investment account) and recreate loan payment information from the beginning because Quicken does loan payments weird (my belief).

This is a big hit to my trusting the data in quicken. There is no way for me to convert another loan account to an investment account type, so it isn't something I did.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @tim.rohrer1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Do you have a recent backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file that was saved prior to when the issue started to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• tim.rohrer1
    tim.rohrer1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    No, I had made a bunch of other changes before realizing the issue. I did consider restoring a backup, but decided the amount of work to recreate the loan account was probably less than with the other changes.

I may have been wrong though (but that is what I did). In order to create new loan account, it turns out, I now have to create a liability and then convert it to the loan. Ok, weird, but it worked. BTW, it doesn't match the help docs from the app which are out of date.

After getting the loan set up again, I can to go back to each transaction (payments from my checking account) and recategorize each split (the principal) as a "uncategorized" (or something else), save it, then edit it a second time to apply the transfer to the recreated loan account.

Also, when I created the new account (online, I only have the options of Direct Connect. The other accounts from that institution (a checking, and credit card) were both configured as Quicken Connect. So, I did change the loan to match, but not sure which I *should* be using.

More importantly, *why* does Quicken seem to lose connections of accounts at random? In yesterday's snafu, only one of multiple accounts from two different institutions were reported as missing, and to fix them, I had to reconnect. Why?
This discussion has been closed.