Is there a way to customize Months to reflect redefined dates?

Options
Kathy2u
Kathy2u Member
Hi! I live paycheck to paycheck. I get paid on the third Wednesday of every month. Currently, I am working with my budget. Is it possible to customize my budget to redefine the time frame per month and save the changes? I want to always look at my data...budget and reports....in my redefined months. Is this possible?

Answers

• Kathy2u
    Kathy2u Member
    Options
    Is downloading my data and budget to Excel the only solution? If so, that sounds like a lot of work. So why use Quicken? I'm sure I'm not the only person on a fixed income that uses Quicken. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kathy2u, It's not clear what you're asking.
    Do you want a budget that runs from the 3rd Wednesday to the day before the next 3rd  Wednesday?
    If so, sorry, but that's not possible in  Q.
    HOWEVER, you can produce reports with a Custom time frame that reflect that time period.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Kathy2u, have you thought about monitoring your cash flow rather than (or in addition to) tracking a budget? You can track your cash flow and forecast future account balances by setting up reminders for your paycheck, reoccurring bills, and expenses then turn on the register feature to Show Reminders in the Register. 

This will enable you to see if you have enough funds to last until your next paycheck. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have never really understood the reasoning behind trying to set a budget based on when you get paid.
    My bills have never cooperated with something like that.  And if the bills won't all nicely line up to a paycheck, sooner or later you are going to have to "save money for the future bill payment".

I might add that even though you seem to be paid monthly, most people aren't, and as such if one wanted create a budget system that allowed this generically it would have allow for weekly, bi-weekly, ...  Which would get really complicated (it is already very complicated).

Note for cash flow I use the Project Balance graph, not the budget.

Another consideration might be to use Simplify instead.  That uses a different budgeting system that might better suit you.  I don't use Simplify so I can't be sure, but you might want to check it out.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.