Quicken credentials not accepted on new laptop Windows 11

wrenz
wrenz Member ✭✭
I can log into my account at the Quicken website. I cannot log into the Quicken software to access my financials

I have a new laptop running Win11 with a fresh download of Quicken software. When I try to open file I use my ID & password that works fine on laptop with Win10, I get an error saying the credentials are invalid. I have also tried to create a new Quicken file and it has the same error. How do I get Win11 working?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you download from the Quicken.com website or did you download from your Quicken.com account?

If you downloaded from the website, you might want to try uninstalling Quicken and then log into your Quicken.com online account and download from there.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• wrenz
    wrenz Member ✭✭
    Thanks Boatnmanic for your reply. I did log into my Quicken.com account to download the software on Win11 laptop. I have reinstalled Quicken a couple of times either by uninstalling Quicken through Windows or just having the Quicken program over-write. Nothing has worked.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you in the US or Canada? Are you using a VPN?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Also, which anti-virus are you running?

• wrenz
    wrenz Member ✭✭
    To answer both Greg_the_Geek and Boatnmanic

I am US based but overseas at my holiday home. I have tried with and without VPN.

I use Norton for anti-virus. I have disabled it but no joy.

Quicken will text me with verification code which I use, get a confirmation that my password is updated, then does not let me sign in.

I have been coming to my holiday location for 12 years and never had my access to Quicken denied until now. I can't even see my Quicken financials because the logon screen is full screen.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note if using a VPN to try to get around this problem, you have to ensure that the VPN server is a US based server IP address.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • wrenz
    wrenz Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Note if using a VPN to try to get around this problem, you have to ensure that the VPN server is a US based server IP address.

Yes, that's correct
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Quicken has tightened up their security. Can you try a different VPN server to a US IP address?
  • wrenz
    wrenz Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Quicken has tightened up their security. Can you try a different VPN server to a US IP address?

Thanks for the suggestion. At last, I was able to sign into my financials and download data to my file. It will be very frustrating if I have to search for a suitable VPN during my travels.

After downloading my data I needed to reestablish the connection with each credit card company. I went back to my old laptop to check the accuracy of my new Quicken file and found out that it has now lost all credit card connectivity. This would indicate that I need to find out more about cloud storage but I don't like the idea of putting my financials in the cloud.

How long is my logon to my account good for? Will I need to do this every time I use Quicken? It was very frustrating and irritating that I could not even get to see my data unless I was signed in. Is there a way around that?

Thanks @Greg_the_Geek for getting me on the road to limp along.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I can't answer your questions. I'm just another Quicken user who spends too much time in the Quicken community (but I do learn some things about Quicken's quirks). I don't know you transferred your Quicken data from your old laptop to the new one, but the best method is to just copy the .QDF file and not use backup/restore. This What is the Quicken Cloud? will explain the Quicken Cloud. Here's information about the various connection types. Connection Types in Quicken It hasn't been updated for EWC+ yet.
  • wrenz
    wrenz Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek thanks for the links. Since my problem seems to be related to being overseas I don't think the cloud will help. Frustratingly, I had to reconnect my credit cards a second time. I expect that will be an ongoing source of irritation. Also it seems as though the one step update does not include stock quotes, even though it is checked to do so, or when I initiate that task individually.

I have been a Quicken user since the 1990s but I'm increasingly unhappy with the performance since it was sold off by Intuit. I had to take my back account out of the Quicken update loop because I kept getting notices from my bank (a security setting I put on my account) about logons to my account when I was not doing that. Turns out Quicken was checking my account daily, as I remember, even though the program was not running on my laptop.

At this stage I may just keep account balances up to date manually in Quicken but stop using what has been a very useful program in the past that served me well as I traveled. The current problems associated with being outside of North America have been time consuming, frustrating and irritating. I'm on the search for a better solution.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    wrenz said:
    At this stage I may just keep account balances up to date manually in Quicken but stop using what has been a very useful program in the past that served me well as I traveled. The current problems associated with being outside of North America have been time consuming, frustrating and irritating. I'm on the search for a better solution.
    If you are going to do manual entry, I suggest that you turn off your network, say put it in airplane mode before using Quicken.  From what has been found if Quicken immediately gets a network error it will go into offline mode.  But if it just gets a time out trying to connect it will still be in online mode and might invalidate your login for the Quicken Id.

Note it is a surprise to me that the financial institution logins became invalid, not so much for the Quicken Id because that has been reported many times before.  But they tell us so little about how they do this there is no telling about details like this.

Personally, I think the blocking of people by IP address is stupid, by try convincing the "security experts" of that.  Note that Quicken Inc is only following the "financial industry standards", which some financial institutions have taken to do too.  It is so ridiculous as you can see it extremely easy to fake IP addresses, and it isn't like the bad actors don't know that too.  So, they unconvince their customers for no real benefit.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2022
    @wrenz - Regarding cloud storage:  There are people who save their main data file on a Cloud storage service but those should only be used to save backup data files and not the main data file(s) you run Quicken with.  Quicken is designed to be saved and run on a local drive.  There have been many posts in this Community by those who have saved and run their main data file from a Cloud site only to find out that their data file at some point had become corrupted and not recoverable.  The recommendation is to not save your main data file in a Cloud service nor run the file from there.

When you saved your data file to your new computer, was it a Quicken generated copy of the original file on your old computer?  Or was it a Windows generated copy of the original data file that was then transferred to the new computer?

I suspect it was the latter.  If that is correct then it means that you likely now have two different data files that share the exact same Cloud Account ID and that will introduce some cross-talk issues between the two data files on the two computers.  While financial data is not uploaded to/saved in the Cloud Account (unless you have Mobile & Web Sync turned on), there is some data from the files that is saved there, such as categories and EWC/EWC+ login information.  So, I think it is quite possible that when your credit card accounts (assuming they were set up with EWC or EWC+) were deactivated on your new computer it removed the set up information from the Cloud Account.  Then when you later opened Quicken on your old computer the deactivations affected that data file, as well.

If you are indeed sharing the same Cloud Account between the two files I would strongly suggest you do the following:  Stop accessing your Quicken file from one of your computers.  That will prevent any new cross-talk issues from occurring.  I also suggest that you delete the main data file on that computer so you do not accidentally open it, again, in the future.  

If, however, you wish to continue accessing your financials from both computers, let me know.  It is possible to do that but there are several steps that need to be taken to break the sharing of the Cloud Account.  It will also mean that when completed you will then have two totally separate Quicken files and each will need to be updated separately from each other so there will be duplication of effort.

• wrenz
    wrenz Member ✭✭
    Since this is a Quicken community, I don't suppose anyone has found a good replacement for Quicken. There are so many features I like and have enjoyed since the DOS days. However the recent issues are really testing my patience.

@Chris_QPW Thanks for the heads up about airplane mode. I may have figured that out after several frustrating sessions so I appreciate the suggestion before I make that mistake.

@Boatnmaniac My reference to the Cloud was thinking it to be a way to not have the connections issues I now have while traveling overseas. After the brief look I had at it, I do not see it as a solution. I have never used the Quicken Cloud and never will.

I used Laplink to transfer files from old to new computer using their USB cable. Once I was able to activate my Quicken account on the new laptop, I opened the transferred file. There were a few minor account issues. So I should have restored the file from a backup made on the old laptop? I'll give that a try to see if it fixes the stock quote not syncing.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Since this Quicken community is owned by Quicken, Inc., you're not going to get any suggestions for Quicken replacements.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2022
    wrenz said:

@Boatnmaniac My reference to the Cloud was thinking it to be a way to not have the connections issues I now have while traveling overseas. After the brief look I had at it, I do not see it as a solution. I have never used the Quicken Cloud and never will.
    There tends to be a lot of confusion among Quicken users about what the Quicken Cloud vs what Quicken Cloud Account is.  In essense, as i understand it, they are really the same thing but Quicken Cloud usually refers to Quicken's Mobile and Web features.  For this, we have the ability to turn those features turned on off via the Mobile and Web Sync preference.

But having Mobile and Web Sync turned off does not mean that we are not using the Quicken Cloud.  Since you have Subscription and are using online services you have a Cloud Account which is your involvement with Quicken's Cloud.   If Sync is turned off most of your financial information is not saved in your Cloud Account but there is some data saved there such as categories, your subscription information and your EWC financial institutions logins and your EWC/EWC+ transactions/online balance downloads (so you can later download that data into Quicken).  We cannot turn off our Cloud Account(s) if we wish to continue using Quicken. 
    wrenz said:

I used Laplink to transfer files from old to new computer using their USB cable. Once I was able to activate my Quicken account on the new laptop, I opened the transferred file. There were a few minor account issues. So I should have restored the file from a backup made on the old laptop? I'll give that a try to see if it fixes the stock quote not syncing.
    If you have not already done so you might want to read this Support Article:  How do I move/transfer my Quicken data file from one computer to another? [Support Article].  This article does talk about using a backup file for this process.  I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for that since I have transferred files between computers (usually using a thumb drive or a USB cable) without doing that and have not encountered any issues but I think it's usually a good idea to follow the instructions provided in Support Articles just to be safe.  Let us know if the going the backup file route resolved the issue for you.

The one thing this Support Artcile does not talk about is what my last post was about...making sure you do not run separate copies of the same data file which share same Cloud Account on two different computers.  When you used Laplink, if you actually moved the Quicken data file(s) to your new computer (so they are no longer on your old computer) you should be OK.  But if what you did was to simply copy the data file(s) over from the old computer to the new computer (so now the data file is now on both computers) then you should make sure that you don't open that data file on both computers again....select one of them and don't alternate back to the other to also run it there.  If you do there is a high probability that there will be some undesired cross-talk, data integrity/reliability and connection issues encountered at some point because both files on both computers will be sharing the same Cloud Account.

• wrenz
    wrenz Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac I'll be able to look at this in 2 or 3 days and let you know. Thank you for the links and ideas
  • wrenz
    wrenz Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Sorry to report that I did not go back and try the Quicken transfer method. Time has been short to restart the process. The file seems to be working properly on the new laptop; accounts are updating through One Step Update. I appreciate your help and @Chris_QPW , @Greg_the_Geek for helping sort out my issues. You all have guided me well and provided me with insight. Cheers
  • Boatnmaniac
    wrenz said:
    @Boatnmaniac Sorry to report that I did not go back and try the Quicken transfer method. Time has been short to restart the process. The file seems to be working properly on the new laptop; accounts are updating through One Step Update. I appreciate your help and @Chris_QPW , @Greg_the_Geek for helping sort out my issues. You all have guided me well and provided me with insight. Cheers
    No problem.  I'm glad to hear that Quicken is now working properly for you.

This discussion has been closed.