Converting Quicken Canada 2007

Options
CIR
CIR Member ✭✭
Is Quicken Canada 2013 (Windows) the best way to convert data from Quicken Canada 2007 (Windows) onward?

If not, what is?

I have read in this closed post (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20096621#Comment_20096621)
"The upgrade path for Quicken Canadian is quite different, and I would even bet that at this point Quicken support won't have what is needed to do it."

How different is the upgrade path for Quicken Canada?

If I happen to have Quicken Canada 2013 (Windows) available, will I be fine?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken Windows Canadian has quite a different history than Quicken Windows US.

First off for Quicken Windows US Quicken 2004 is the “magical” version for conversions.  It marks a point where the next year (Quicken 2005 US) they took out the conversion for releases before Quicken 2000 or so.  For Quicken Windows Canadian the magic version is Quicken Windows Canadian XG (2006).

So, the point is to get a data file to a version equal or greater than the “magical version” and after that the newest version of Quicken will be able to do the conversation.
    Quicken Windows Canadian 2007 is beyond that point there so Quicken Subscription should be able to convert the data file.

Now Quicken Windows US 2013 is very special.  It is the last version before Intuit put in the requirement to use an Intuit Id, which when they sold Quicken turned into the Quicken Id.

I’m trying to remember what version of Quicken Windows Canadian first got the Intuit Id, I know that the Canadian version got the Subscription one year earlier than Quicken Windows US went to a subscription, but that is years after Intuit started using the Intuit Id.  It might be the same year (2014) I’m not sure, but unless you have the install I doubt it will matter.

Unlike Quicken Windows US which was sold in retails stores, Quicken Windows Canadian is sold at Quicken.com (and before that Intuit.com) the result is that you won’t find Quicken Windows Canadian on E-Bay or anywhere else.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My guess, and it's totally a guess, is that you need to search around on EBay/etc and try to find/buy a copy of QWin Canada 2013.
    Be sure to back-up your data before you proceed and make sure that you have the ability to re-install Q2007 just in case (the install of Q2013 should uninstall Q2007).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• CIR
    CIR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, @NotACPA, that was my guess as well. I'm looking for someone who can confirm that QWin Canada 2013 is all I need to migrate from QWin Canada 2007 to contemporary.

As for your recommendations, no worries, I have already considered those points in my strategy! ;)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The number of QCda users on the forum is relatively small, when compared to QUS users.  And I suspect that the number of  QCda users who have performed the "upgrade leap": is even smaller .. as is true for QUS users also.
    SO, you might well be the guinea pig for this undertaking. 
    Best of luck and please report your result back here.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• CIR
    CIR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Will do, @NotACPA. Thanks and have a great week!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken Windows Canadian has quite a different history than Quicken Windows US.

First off for Quicken Windows US Quicken 2004 is the “magical” version for conversions.  It marks a point where the next year (Quicken 2005 US) they took out the conversion for releases before Quicken 2000 or so.  For Quicken Windows Canadian the magic version is Quicken Windows Canadian XG (2006).

So, the point is to get a data file to a version equal or greater than the “magical version” and after that the newest version of Quicken will be able to do the conversation.
    Quicken Windows Canadian 2007 is beyond that point there so Quicken Subscription should be able to convert the data file.

Now Quicken Windows US 2013 is very special.  It is the last version before Intuit put in the requirement to use an Intuit Id, which when they sold Quicken turned into the Quicken Id.

I’m trying to remember what version of Quicken Windows Canadian first got the Intuit Id, I know that the Canadian version got the Subscription one year earlier than Quicken Windows US went to a subscription, but that is years after Intuit started using the Intuit Id.  It might be the same year (2014) I’m not sure, but unless you have the install I doubt it will matter.

Unlike Quicken Windows US which was sold in retails stores, Quicken Windows Canadian is sold at Quicken.com (and before that Intuit.com) the result is that you won’t find Quicken Windows Canadian on E-Bay or anywhere else.
    Signature:
  • CIR
    CIR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Wonderful, @Chris_QPW! Thank you so much for all those historical details!!! I will try the direct conversion and keep you all posted.

Now, since you have been so helpful, let me ask you 2 more questions.

1. Is converting from QWin Canada XG 2007 to QWin Canada Deluxe subscription OK or does it need to be the Home & Business subscription?

2. Can you confirm what I've gathered on how to best check data after conversion.
    a. Make sure the account balances are correct.
    b. Make sure the investment history is correct.

Thanks for your time and great input!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At one time for the Canadian version you needed the Home & Business to get the investment features.  According to this page that isn't true anymore, but I'm not 100% sure so I'm going maybe @Arctic Hare can confirm that (he is a Quicken Windows Canadian users, and I'm not).
    https://www.quicken.com/canada/product-selector-ca

One #2 I think that the balances should be a pretty good check.
    Signature:
  • CIR
    CIR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks again, @Chris_QPW!
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    At one time for the Canadian version you needed the Home & Business to get the investment features.  According to this page that isn't true anymore, but I'm not 100% sure so I'm going maybe @Arctic Hare can confirm that (he is a Quicken Windows Canadian users, and I'm not).

One #2 I think that the balances should be a pretty good check.
    It is very difficult to figure out which of the Canadian versions have which features because the feature list on the Canadian Quicken website page (which Chris_QPW) referenced lists the features for the US product, not the Canadian product. There are many references on that product feature page and related pages on the "Canadian" Quicken site that simply don't apply to the Canadian version(s), including references to 401K, IRS, Zillow.

In all candour, I use the Home & Business version (of the Canadian flavour) partly because it is not apparent what features I wouldn't get if I bought any other version. I don't trust the referenced feature list whatsoever because it is littered with references that simply don't apply to the Canadian version - not to mention that feature list does not speak to the features that a Canadian would actually care about (e.g. handling RRSP, RESP, RRIF, RPP, CRA tax return form categories, etc.)

Quicken does a very poor job of providing information specific to the Canadian product and to Canadian users. Another example of this is the Quicken Update newsletter. They send a common newsletter to US and Canadian customers and the content is always 100% US centric; never does it contain any information particularly pertinent to Canadians. Again, you actually can't trust that what you read in the Update newsletter is actually correct if you are a Canadian customer.

If anyone can provide a reference to the feature list for the Canadian product versions, I'd be interested in reviewing that!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Note I was going off of this page which at least on the surface seems to be Canadian focused since the column headers are for the Canadian editions:
    Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    Note I was going off of this page which at least on the surface seems to be Canadian focused since the column headers are for the Canadian editions:
    @Chris_QPW we are referring to exactly the same page. Look, for example, at the footnote reference to Zillow in Footnote (1). Zillow has no presence in Canada and Quicken Canada does not use or support Zillow. Or, hover over the advanced tax reports and it references Schedule A; there is no Schedule A in Canadian tax returns. Or, hover over Rental Property Report and it references schedule E. You guessed it, we don't have a Schedule E - try Form T776 instead. Also look under Tax Planning and its Reference to Form T1 and Schedule B... you've probably guess correctly this time... those aren't Canadian forms and they are not in Quicken Canada. By all appearances, someone has put prices in CAD overlayed on US feature information; the only thing Canadian, eh, on that page is the pricing and possibly the column headers. This is very typical of Quicken; I don't trust any online documentation is accurate for the Canadian version unless it explicitly indicates it applies (and most of the time it is silent on that matter.

See this thread for confirmation that Zillow does not exist in the Canadian product (only in the marketing for the Canadian product): https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867486/where-is-zillow

It has always been very difficult to tell what exactly is the feature differences between the Canadian versions because the marketing descriptions have either been poor, misleading, or both.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Arctic Hare yep, quite messed up!

BTW at before the Subscription Quicken Windows Canadian Starter included account types that Quicken Windows US Starter didn't like loan accounts, but found out from one of the Moderators that they changed that to match what Quicken Windows US Starter had, and that was one of my reasons for speculating about "Deluxe".

I can tell you that the description for Quicken Windows US Starter is missing a lot of the "quirks" in that edition.
    Signature:
  • CIR
    CIR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you both, @Arctic Hare and @Chris_QPW for the honest details.
  • CIR
    CIR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Great news! All my data migrated beautifully from QWIN Canada XG 2007 directly to the Canadian Deluxe subscription for Windows.

Since I had used a second computer to test the subscription on, I was able to open the account list on both computers and compare the number of transactions and balance for each account.

Thanks for all your help and tips, @Chris_QPW and @Arctic Hare !
This discussion has been closed.