“It appears one or more account(s) at…have been deleted” and ensueing havoc

Options
Recently, when I ran Update I found that my bank had changed its login and I needed to reset the password using MFA. I did so, but when I ran Update again, there was a CC-800 error. “It appears one or more account(s) at…have been deleted” and the pink crossed out circle appeared next to the accounts connected to that bank. I tried the “Fix It” “Update Now” button which said it was successful. It wasn’t.

I found a thread that suggested deactivating all the accounts at that bank (there are several subset types of accounts under two different people.) Then to log out of Quicken and choose the “sign in as a different user” link but then use my usual sing in. Then add back in the account(s) and match them to the deactivated accounts.

This completely messed up the account balances and my entire history! I resorted to restoring from a backup to get rid of all the new info that sent everything askew. Now I’m back to square one, though now there are even more accounts that are red-circled.

I also attempted the tried-and-true “Reset Account” but found that the “Action” option to ”Link to existing” wasn’t there for several of the accounts. It just defaulted to “Don’t add to Quicken” with no other option available.

Is there any way to reconnect these accounts without downloading 90 days of new information that results in all that duplication and imbalance or by controlling how many days of past history will be synchronized?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Recently, when I ran Update I found that my bank had changed its login and I needed to reset the password using MFA. I did so, but when I ran Update again, there was a CC-800 error. “It appears one or more account(s) at…have been deleted” and the pink crossed out circle appeared next to the accounts connected to that bank. I tried the “Fix It” “Update Now” button which said it was successful. It wasn’t.

I found a thread that suggested deactivating all the accounts at that bank (there are several subset types of accounts under two different people.) Then to log out of Quicken and choose the “sign in as a different user” link but then use my usual sing in. Then add back in the account(s) and match them to the deactivated accounts.

This completely messed up the account balances and my entire history! I resorted to restoring from a backup to get rid of all the new info that sent everything askew. Now I’m back to square one, though now there are even more accounts that are red-circled.

I also attempted the tried-and-true “Reset Account” but found that the “Action” option to ”Link to existing” wasn’t there for several of the accounts. It just defaulted to “Don’t add to Quicken” with no other option available.

Is there any way to reconnect these accounts without downloading 90 days of new information that results in all that duplication and imbalance or by controlling how many days of past history will be synchronized?
    Hello @Shannon M M,          

I am sorry to hear about this issue with online banking services. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance.

First, in order to provide further assistance, we will need to know what financial institution is associated with the affected accounts. Also, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Make sure that the data file is located on your computer, and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic program behavior, and even data damage.

I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for helping, Jared!

First let me explain that at two of the institutions in question (credit unions), I have an individual account with several sub-accounts (under the same login/number) and a joint account with several sub-accounts (under a different login/number). All the sub-accounts appear with their own lines in the banking section, but they update along with the other accounts under that login.

After restoring a backup from before things started to go haywire, I ran Update and the following accounts are in the CC-800 state:

Aloha Pacific FCU (Both the individual and joint account are failing.)
    Honolulu Federal Employees FCU (Both the individual and joint account are failing.)
    American Express Bank FSB (One individual account and I use a separate login from the credit card account)

My active data file is located in the Quicken directory in Documents.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    Thank you for helping, Jared!

First let me explain that at two of the institutions in question (credit unions), I have an individual account with several sub-accounts (under the same login/number) and a joint account with several sub-accounts (under a different login/number). All the sub-accounts appear with their own lines in the banking section, but they update along with the other accounts under that login.

After restoring a backup from before things started to go haywire, I ran Update and the following accounts are in the CC-800 state:

Aloha Pacific FCU (Both the individual and joint account are failing.)
    Honolulu Federal Employees FCU (Both the individual and joint account are failing.)
    American Express Bank FSB (One individual account and I use a separate login from the credit card account)

My active data file is located in the Quicken directory in Documents.
    Hello @Shannon M M,         

I am sorry that these issues are continuing, and thank you for getting back to me with more information about what is happening.

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your accounts associated with Aloha Pacific FCU, Honolulu Federal Employees Credit Union, and American Express Bank by navigating to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand side of the screen, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same error message occurring in the test data file once this is attempted.

I look forward to hearing about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options
    All the accounts were pulled into the test file successfully in, though for one bank the all the joint accounts came in under the login used for my individual accounts. I just deleted those and re-added them using the joint account login.

So, the big question still remains- How to merge the newly created account information to the existing history without all the duplication and resulting imbalance?
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just wanted to bump this topic as I'm only partly repaired as it standsd.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    I just wanted to bump this topic as I'm only partly repaired as it standsd.
    Hello @Shannon M M,   

Thanks for getting back to me with your results from the test file, and I am sorry you did not receive a response sooner, and also that this problem is continuing. 

First, navigate back to your original data file by going to File > Open Quicken File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then save a backup once more, and proceed through the steps listed below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Let us know if you are able to subsequently add the accounts you were having difficulty with after making use of these steps, and if the error messages and red circles you mentioned earlier are continuing. 

Thank you,

Quicken 
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options
    You mentioned adding the accounts that have errors”? I assume I am supposed to “link” the newly re-added accounts to the existing accounts? (Do I need to “Deactivate” or “Reset” the existing accounts?)
    I believe I followed this process when I was attempting to troubleshoot before posting here. The problem is limiting the data imported so that it will only update activity from a specific date to the present date when it is re-connected. Otherwise, it will mess up the account balances and 90 days worth of history with all the duplications.

That being said, here is the result of your last instructions:
    The log said it repaired one of the accounts but it still had the red circle. A box came up with a CC-800 error again and I selected “Fix it now” but nothing happened. So I ran Update again and selected “Fix it later”. The results were the same errors with the same accounts.
    So I continued with the “Super Validate”. This time the log found no errors. But again the same red circle errors existed.

The test file is managing the accounts fine. Is there a way to merge that data to the existing file after deleting entries from the test file that would otherwise be duplicated?
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    You mentioned adding the accounts that have errors”? I assume I am supposed to “link” the newly re-added accounts to the existing accounts? (Do I need to “Deactivate” or “Reset” the existing accounts?)
    I believe I followed this process when I was attempting to troubleshoot before posting here. The problem is limiting the data imported so that it will only update activity from a specific date to the present date when it is re-connected. Otherwise, it will mess up the account balances and 90 days worth of history with all the duplications.

That being said, here is the result of your last instructions:
    The log said it repaired one of the accounts but it still had the red circle. A box came up with a CC-800 error again and I selected “Fix it now” but nothing happened. So I ran Update again and selected “Fix it later”. The results were the same errors with the same accounts.
    So I continued with the “Super Validate”. This time the log found no errors. But again the same red circle errors existed.

The test file is managing the accounts fine. Is there a way to merge that data to the existing file after deleting entries from the test file that would otherwise be duplicated?
    Hello @Shannon M M,         

Thanks for getting back to me with updates regarding the troubleshooting process. I am really sorry that these issues are continuing after all of the steps that have been taken, thus far.

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward. 

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    I look forward to hearing about whether or not the errors and red circles have been cleared up in the copied data file. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options
    I’m very confused. Which file would I be copying? The newly created file containing only the accounts that are problematic in the other main file? Or the main file containing 45 bank, credit card, and investment accounts?

When you say “a new data set will be created in the new data file” do you mean that all of the transactions will be deleted?

Also, to confirm, you are saying there really is no way to restrict the information downloaded to an account being connected (if I were to Reset the problem accounts in the main file, then Add them and Link to the existing account)?

I’ve spent hundreds of hours getting everything working the way it is supposed to, and it seems unfathomable that it could all amount to nothing because an update destroyed a portion of the data.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @Shannon M M,

I would be happy to answer your questions. 

You would be copying your main file containing all of your accounts, registers, and history. You won’t lose transaction history since it copies all data that’s currently in the file, the new dataset ID creates and replaces all the internal lists and database tables which is why all online services will be disconnected in the copied file and required to be reconnected.

No, everything from your main file should appear in the new data file as you are copying it over. This process generates a new data set ID and new data file due to corruption in your main, current file. 

I am not sure what you mean by "restrict the information downloaded", could you please further clarify?

Also, before completing the troubleshooting steps listed by @Quicken Jared above, it is recommended to save a backup (just in case). 

I hope this clears things up!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Jasmine,
    When I mentioned the "restrict the information downloaded" question, it was regarding the possibility of a different approach—one in which the file remains the same, and I remove the offending accounts and re-add them including only a portion of the newer transactions, then link them to the existing accounts. But it sounds like the problem runs much deeper than that. So, I proceeded with your solution.
    This is the result:
    When I reconciled my previously perfectly balanced accounts, they ALL had discrepancies, as was the case with my previous attempts. This is why I wondered about the ability to restrict the downloading to only the recent transactions that would have posted since the last successful download, instead of the 327 days mentioned in the “Account Added” confirmation when I reconnected the accounts. How can I proceed so that I don’t have to re-reconcile an entire year’s worth of transactions in 45 accounts?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hello @Shannon M M,

Thanks for following those steps. 

If you are experiencing duplicate transactions now, you will have to go in and manually delete those. You can select multiple at a time and delete them. You can select multiple transactions by pressing CTRL+click in an account register.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options
    Is there an easy way to find out what is duplicated? Or do I now have to go back and reconcile the entire year in 45 accounts!? Between the holidays and preparing for tax season, this is absolutely the worst timing!
    How did this happen? I really don’t want to have to do this again. Can you give me any advice as to how to avoid future corruptions?
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options
    Update: I now just received another "account deleted" message from the newly copied, newly connected banks. This is not how I wanted to spend my vacation.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @Shannon M M,

Thanks for reaching back out. 

Due to this issue still occurring, we recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can utilize functions such as screen share and escalate the situation if needed.  

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance. 

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.