when I try to move transactions between investment accounts, the program freezes or crashes

Options
eichnerdonmary
eichnerdonmary Member ✭✭
I was working to move multiple transactions between 2 investment accounts. Things just lock up

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @eichnerdonmary,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Have you tried moving smaller portions of multiple transactions at once to see if it may make a difference? Sometimes the program will freeze if the amount of multiple transactions being moved is of large quantity.

Check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @eichnerdonmary,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Have you tried moving smaller portions of multiple transactions at once to see if it may make a difference? Sometimes the program will freeze if the amount of multiple transactions being moved is of large quantity.

Check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• eichnerdonmary
    Options
    I've tried moving 1 or 2 transactions- it takes up to an hour before the validation Green shows up. Why is this operation so slow? I'm working to find a work around so far w/o success. Unfortunately, there is a need to combine the 2 accounts. Note- I have been using Quicken for about 30 years.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you moving securities from one brokerage to another?
    In that case, the proper process would be to use the Enter Transactions dialog "Shares transferred between accounts". This dialog leaves the actual register transactions where they have originally occurred, in the old brokerage's account register. The actual move of xxx owned shares of a security is done by adding a Remove Shares transaction in the old account and one or more Add Shares transactions, depending on the number of lots you own, in the new brokerage's register. Each lot in the register will appear as having been moved today, but lot-specific purchase information is retained under the covers, for correct long/short holding and other reporting needs.
    Do make a backup of your data file before you start moving things around.
  • eichnerdonmary
    Options
    The transactions are between the same brokerage company. For some reason, an account number was changed and I setup a new on in Quicken. I'll look into your suggestion. And yes, I back everything up. Thnks
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just for an account number change, you don't have to create a new register. At most, you'd have to deactivate the existing account, then reactivate it using the new number. And make a note in the Edit Account Details Comment block about the change.
    But if you're too far into the process or it's been too long since the actual change, just finish the "Shares transferred ..." process. When done, transfer cash balance and you should be able to mark the old account closed. Hide it, but do not delete it. You do want to retain all the history of the old account.
  • eichnerdonmary
    Options
    OK I'll keep working Thanks
  • eichnerdonmary
    Options
    I did get the account question figured out. All my numbers are correct, but the account will con connect to Vanguard. I did a reset but that did not work. What else should I try?
This discussion has been closed.