Payee necessary for account transfers?

Options
KYN
KYN Member ✭✭
Hi there. Hopefully an easy question: When I create manual transfers between accounts (checking to savings, for example) is there any reason that I should fill in the "Payee" field? I've used Quicken for years with "Transfer Money" as the Payee, but I've recently wondered why it's necessary to include if I'm using the bracketed Category names ("[Account Name]").

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd  say "Try it and see".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You probably have to put something in the description/payee field.  Don't you want to know what you did and why?  Just type in the word Transfer at least.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• KYN
    KYN Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, NotACPA and volvogirl.

Turns out that (at least in most cases I've encountered so far), it's not necessary to include a Payee name. (Oh, except when saving a Bill & Income Reminder; that does require a Payee name.)

In my case, just seeing the account to/from which the transfer was made tells me what I did and why. (So, if I'm in my Checking register, then seeing the TXFR in the Check # field and [Credit Card] as the category tells me that I'm making a payment to my credit card.)

Just trying to see if there are any major or obvious-to-anyone-else potential repercussions that I'm not thinking of.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KYN said:
    So, if I'm in my Checking register, then seeing the TXFR in the Check # field and [Credit Card] as the category tells me that I'm making a payment to my credit card.
    Then you actually have a payee, e.g., AmEx, Chase, Citi, etc. That's what I put in the Payee field when I pay a credit card.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have Memorized Payees, like "Chase", which have the category filled in, such as "[Chase]", so, for me, it is easier to type Chase then to type [Chase].  Not sure how leaving Payee blank is saving time or energy.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• KYN
    KYN Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > Then you actually have a payee, e.g., AmEx, Chase, Citi, etc. That's what I put in the Payee field when I pay a credit card.

Thank you for your reply! It's beneficial for me to think of these things. See, I've always thought of it as payees being entities that I actually purchase things from (a restaurant or store, for example). Unless I'm paying interest or a credit card fee to AmEx/Chase/Citi/etc., I wouldn't consider them a payee if I'm just transferring money to pay off a credit card bill for things that I've actually purchased from other entities. My thinking is that if I use the financial institution's name as the payee when I'm just paying off a credit card, then a report would show that I'm paying the money to that institution when I've not actually purchased something from them, if that makes sense.
  • KYN
    KYN Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @splasher said:
    > I have Memorized Payees, like "Chase", which have the category filled in, such as "[Chase]", so, for me, it is easier to type Chase then to type [Chase].  Not sure how leaving Payee blank is saving time or energy.

I've just responded to someone else, but if I were to include "Chase" as the payee, then my reports would show that I'm paying money TO Chase when really I'm just paying off a credit card that Chase holds. If, on the other hand, Chase charges me interest or a credit card yearly fee, then I DO include "Chase" as the payee.

And you're right, leaving Payee blank wouldn't necessarily save time or energy, I was just thinking about it in terms of it's necessary somehow. Thanks for your response!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KYN said:
    if I were to include "Chase" as the payee, then my reports would show that I'm paying money TO Chase when really I'm just paying off a credit card that Chase holds.
    Maybe not. Try running an Itemized Payees report, for example. You'll see that the payments to your credit cards don't show up under Expenses. They show up under Transfers, but only if you enable the display of transfers on the Advanced tab of the report customization dialog.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KYN
    KYN Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > Maybe not. Try running an Itemized Payees report, for example. You'll see that the payments to your credit cards don't show up under Expenses. They show up under Transfers, but only if you enable the display of transfers on the Advanced tab of the report customization dialog.

Ah, very cool, I hadn't realized that. Thank you. I guess now I'm just trying to figure out if there's any benefit to using the financial institution name vs. just "Transfer".
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FWIW: When you used to mail them a check (noting my presumption), what did you write on the Payee line?  Answer: Chase. Yes you are paying money to Chase. They paid XYZ for your charged groceries. They paid ABC for your gas. Now you are paying them. 
  • KYN
    KYN Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @q_lurker said:
    > FWIW: When you used to mail them a check (noting my presumption), what did you write on the Payee line?  Answer: Chase. Yes you are paying money to Chase. They paid XYZ for your charged groceries. They paid ABC for your gas. Now you are paying them. 

Good point. Between this and @Rocket J Squirrel 's note about the reports not showing transfers as expenses, I shouldn't have any problems with including Payees, though I guess it's also been nice to see (so far) that there don't seem to be any huge/obvious negatives (for the way I do things) if a Payee isn't included. Thanks so much for helping me work through this, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.