FIDIR.TXT Load Errors

Options
davsaf
davsaf Member
For the last few months, I get the error that it failed to Load FIDR.TXT and I end up needing to reinstall Quicken. This happens every two or three weeks. If I don't reinstall, I end up having to log in with my username and password a dozen times in a row and can't download statements. Has anyone else had this issue and/or fixed it?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is your Q program, and thus FIDIR.TXT. stored on your PC?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• davsaf
    davsaf Member
    Options
    There is nothing custom about the install. I just accepted whatever the default location was.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    I don't see the file in that location though. Doing a search, it looks to be
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't heard of this before ... and I'm stumped for answers other than keep a copy of the file somewhere else is see if just copying it back to that location helps.  Would be easier than a full reinstall.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    davsaf said: For the last few months, I get the error that it failed to Load FIDR.TXT
    NO... have never heard or seen any comments about FIDIR getting trashed -
    Does it look like the sub-dir structure is intact, or are several things trashed ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Ps56k2. Where/What is that?  To me, FIDIR.TXT is a simple text file ... but you're showing a folder.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The file, as mentioned by OP, is located in the “2019” folder… among other folders listed. 
    Was asking if everything was trashed, or just the FIDIR file.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• davsaf
    davsaf Member
    Options
    No other issues other than the FIDIR.txt file and being told that Quicken failed to load it during startup.
    I can still eventually get in to quicken after logging in through the web site window that pops up.
    There look to be three versions
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019 (dated today 11-23-2022) reinstalled today
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Can\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019 (dated 10-21-2022)
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2018 (also dated 10-21-2022)
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    davsaf said:
    No other issues other than the FIDIR.txt file and being told that Quicken failed to load it during startup.
    I can still eventually get in to quicken after logging in through the web site window that pops up.
    Can you screen capture both the error and the "web site window" for us? Drag'n'drop your image files into the "leave a comment" box in your next reply.
    davsaf said:
    There look to be three versions
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019 (dated today 11-23-2022) reinstalled today
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Can\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019 (dated 10-21-2022)
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2018 (also dated 10-21-2022)
    That's normal, if a redundant waste of space, especially the Canadian version, eh?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• davsaf
    davsaf Member
    Options
    Sorry, no. I had to reinstall today from this error, but its not something I can replicate in order to screen capture it. I'll have to wait until it does it again.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @davsaf How about copying your file NOW while it's not trashed?

• davsaf
    davsaf Member
    Options
    Got the same error again today. Image of the error is attached.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To make sure that Quicken is allowed to update and save its configuration files please check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access
This discussion has been closed.