Can I install two different Quicken products (Deluxe and Home and Business) on the same computer

Options
Ron S
Ron S Member ✭✭✭✭
Can I install two different Quicken products (Deluxe and Home and Business) on the same computer?  I understand I can set up different files for business and personal accounts.  However, in this situation there needs to be a complete separation as the Quicken product versions will be owned by different clients and billing for the products will be separate. Also, at some point in the future the business file and Quicken ownership may be transferred to a different individual

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Typically the answer to your question is "No."  It can be done if you can set up a "virtual machine" on your computer to keep the two versions from "seeing" one another. 
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, but there are ways around it.  Two options, both require two Quicken licenses against two DIFFERENT Quicken Ids (QID).

1) Run virtual machine software like Oracle's VirtualBox to run a second instance of Windows on the computer and run the second Edition of Quicken in a virtual machine which is essentially like having a second computer. 

2) Have one QID (User-A) get the privs of Deluxe and the other QID (User-B) to get the privs of H&B.  To do this seamlessly, you would be using Deluxe logged in as User-A with File A, when done working in Deluxe open File Dummy (dummy file used just for this purpose).  Change the active QID ( Edit->Quicken Id->Login as Different User ) to User-B (the H&B user).  Then open File-B and do your work as needed.  When you need to go back to work in the Deluxe file, reverse the process of going thru the dummy file and changing QIDs from User-B to User-A. You do the QID change in the dummy file so that the real, working files do not get their "ownership" messed with.

With either option, later, when the task is handed off to the different individual, you hand them the data file and the username and password for the Quicken account for the appropriate Quicken edition.  They log into Quicken.com and download the installation program, install it on their computer and off they go.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ron S
    Ron S Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the answers.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A little bit of explanation of #2.  When Quicken is installed, the WHOLE complete program is installed and the subscription decides how much is turned on and available for use.  You will notice after installing Quicken but before logging in the first time, it shows H&B in the upper left corner border of the window and only changes to your subscription's edition after login.  Several users have written in a panic thinking they have the wrong edition, but they haven't.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.