Discover card auto reconcile fails because Quicken not downloading transactions since last statement

Randyg
Randyg Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
Quicken no longer downloads transactions from Discover that occur after the last statement. It tries to reconcile to the current online balance, but that balance includes those post-statement transactions, so the reconcile fails. In other words, the "cleared balance" does not match the "online balance", and the difference is the total of the post-statement transactions that are missing from my register.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod
    Hello @Randyg,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. What is your connection method with Discover? You can see the connection method when navigating to Tools > Account List. Are you receiving any error codes or messages when attempting to download transactions? What exactly occurs when you attempt to update your Discover accounts?

I look forward to your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Randyg
    The connection method is Express Web Connect. I am receiving no errors. The download results in "success" with 0 transactions downloaded. The transactions in my register are only up to my last statement date. Once my next statement is released, I'm sure I'll get downloads of the next set of transactions for that statement. In the meantime, I auto-reconcile fails as previously described.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Quicken Mac Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Randyg said:
    The connection method is Express Web Connect. I am receiving no errors. The download results in "success" with 0 transactions downloaded. The transactions in my register are only up to my last statement date. Once my next statement is released, I'm sure I'll get downloads of the next set of transactions for that statement. In the meantime, I auto-reconcile fails as previously described.
    Hello @Randyg,  

Thanks for answering the earlier question about the connection method. I do apologize about these ongoing online banking problems. 

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your Discover-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand side of the screen, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same error message occurring in the test data file once this is attempted.

We look forward to hearing about whether or not these failures to download transactions reoccur in this test file.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Randyg
    Sorry that I took so long to get back. I followed your instructions, created a test file and added the Discover account. It downloaded all transactions, including the most recent posted after the last closing date. So this file does not exhibit the problem that I am having with my normal file.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Quicken Mac Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Randyg said:
    Sorry that I took so long to get back. I followed your instructions, created a test file and added the Discover account. It downloaded all transactions, including the most recent posted after the last closing date. So this file does not exhibit the problem that I am having with my normal file.
    Hello @Randyg,  

I am sorry about these issues remaining in the original file, but I appreciate that you took the time to get back to us with your results from the test data file. 

You may now navigate back to your original data file by going to File > Open Quicken File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, if you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    I look forward to hearing about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • markus1957
    markus1957 Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Under the gear icon in the Discover Card account register, Edit Account Details, Online Services tab, deactivate Discover Card from online services. Clear the account number from the input in the General tab and close the window. Then use Tools>Add Account to LINK your existing account to Discover. This should restore the register to a functional state.
  • Randyg
    I followed @markus1957 instructions and this resolved my issue. I am now getting all of my transactions downloaded.
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.