Change automatic category selection (Q Mac)

I live on Hilton Head Island. Many of my charges are with companies called "Hilton Head (something)". When Quicken downloads these, it picks up on the "Hilton" part of the name and automatically categorizes the charge as "Travel:Hotel". This happens for new vendors as well as those that I use on a monthly basis. Is there some way to stop this? I'd prefer that Quicken remember the category from the last time I categorized this vendor, but would settle for "Uncatagorized" vs. "Hotel".

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
     In QWin, you should be able to prevent renaming of Payees that contain "Hilton Head" with a Do not Rename rule. Hopefully this works for Mac also.

Go to Edit Preferences > Downloaded transactions and enable Use my existing renaming rules if it is not already. Then click the Renaming Rules button, select the Do Not Rename tab, and enter Hilton Head.

Disclaimer: I have not used this but I have never seen any complaints about it not working.

Please let us know if this works for you.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Just adding that for this feature, Quicken Mac works the same as suggested above for Quicken Windows.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
     In QWin, you should be able to prevent renaming of Payees that contain "Hilton Head" with a Do not Rename rule. Hopefully this works for Mac also.

Go to Edit Preferences > Downloaded transactions and enable Use my existing renaming rules if it is not already. Then click the Renaming Rules button, select the Do Not Rename tab, and enter Hilton Head.

Disclaimer: I have not used this but I have never seen any complaints about it not working.

Please let us know if this works for you.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Just adding that for this feature, Quicken Mac works the same as suggested above for Quicken Windows.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Thanks! This worked for me. Appreciate the help!
This discussion has been closed.