v2013 Unable to Open 2005/2006 QDATA files

Showen
Showen Member
I downloaded Quicken 2013 to open old data files retrieved from my crashed laptop drive. However, when I attempt to open the QDATA files (1-5), which are "Quicken QDF data" files, the pop-up says "Unable to open selected file." What am I doing wrong? Appreciate any info you can provide.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you retrieve all of the files in the data file set for your version (year) of Quicken? 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Showen
    Showen Member
    I think so. For each QDATA there are .QEL, QPH and QSD files. Also, outside of the "Backup" folder are numerous .DLL files. However, which I did not notice until now, in the retrieved files is what I think is the original Quicken app from Sep 2000, 8,400kb. Maybe that's why I don't see any .IDX files?? I will uninstall v2013, download & install v2004, and see if I can open & save before trying a newer version. Thanks for your response!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using this article?  How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, .IDX files will be recreated as needed, they aren't absolutely needed.
    Also, if Quicken 2004 can open the data files, then they are lot older than 2005/2006.  Note it isn't the file date we are talking about here, it is the year version of Quicken.  And Quicken 2004 will only be able to open data files that are created by year version 2004 and below.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.