Downloads come in with opposite sign

This week my Quicken downloads from my financial institutions (yes, multiple FIs) come in with the opposite sign. Example...In my credit card account, I went to Walmart and purchased something and it was a charge on my FI's website but when it comes into Quicken, it comes in as a credit (reduction to my credit card balance). Legitimate refunds come in as a negatives (adding to the credit card balance). What is wrong? How can I fix this? HELP!

I use Quicken Premier Version 6.11.1
MacOS12.6

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @stewcampbell,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I recommend creating a new (test) file and try adding the account(s) experiencing this brand new to see if you receive the same result in the test file. If needed, please review this support article for instructions on how to create a new file and how to switch back to your original file after.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it actually downloading with the wrong sign?  Or is the balance just going the wrong way?  Make sure you are showing both the Charges and Payments columns and not the single amount column.  

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges? 

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card.  Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned.   When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it.   And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info.....

A Positive (Black) Balance in a Credit Card Account 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.