I keep receiving an error message while posting transactions (Q Win 2014)

Options
edmojka
edmojka Member
I am running Quicken 2014. I began receiving several different error codes, the latest one was 6918. The pop up box states that quicken - Unexpected Error, Quicken has encountered a problem and needs to close. You may lose the data that you recently entered. We're sorry for this inconvenience. .......... Error Code: 6918

I received the same message with several different codes. Each time I had to restore my data file to the previous version.

Has anyone encountered the same?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is there any error message with that code ... because I don't recognize the code by itself.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• edmojka
    edmojka Member
    Options
    Just the error message that I posted. I have Quicken 2014 installed on 3 devices, 2 laptops and a desktop. I am receiving the error on the desktop and the newer laptop. I logged into my older laptop and was able the add entries in my check register without error.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @edmojka - How long has this been happening?  Did it start after making a change with Quicken, perhaps like reinstalling it?
    Also, are you sharing the data file between each of those 3 computers or does each computer have its own unique data file?  If you are sharing a data file, what is the process you use to share that file?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First, ensure that you have all the bug fixes installed for your version of Quicken
    Next, start Quicken without opening the active data file.
    Procedures for both actions enclosed below.

1) Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-canadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

2) Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,
      • uninstall Quicken using this procedure:
        http://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
      • When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from  your account at quicken.com or your installation CD or saved downloaded installation file and update it to the latest available patch release level.
This discussion has been closed.