Missing transactions from Vanguard

PerryB
PerryB Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I did a transaction download from Vanguard on 12/30/22 which downloaded 9 transactions.
I did another download on 12/31/22 which found no new transactions.
The next download was done yesterday 1/19/23. There were 6 new transactions.
Quicken reported a mismatch on Vanguard Federal Money Market shares. I see the same thing.
In comparing transactions between Quicken and Vanguard, I found that Quicken was missing 5 transactions from 12/30/22.
Somehow Quicken missed downloading those transactions.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, missing transactions have been more of an issue recently, perhaps related to specific program updates (or not).  But unless or until you can establish a pattern, the best course of action is to manually enter the missing transactions and move forward.  And continue to be on the lookout for additional cases. 

I think I have had one or two missed Vanguard transactions in the last 6 months across multiple accounts, but I can't eliminate myself as a possible cause.
  • Hello @PerryB

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the Vanguard account(s) to see if it produces the same issue with missing transactions. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• PerryB
    PerryB Member ✭✭
    Hi Jasmine,

I suspect that the missing transactions are a result of a timing issue related to how Quicken tracks transaction updates and how it screens potential download transactions.

I’m doubtful that creating a test file will result in any useful information.

And unless the problem reoccurs, I don’t want to spend time trying to trouble shoot it for Quicken.

PerryB
  • nc99cobra
    nc99cobra Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. I took my RMD which resulted in 4 transactions being reported by Vanguard. I have performed on step updates yesterday and today. No transactions were downloaded yet if I do a reconcile shares and it reports the exact balance of the 4 transactions, I made to do my RMD. I guess I will just load transactions manually since it looks like there will be no one looking into this at this time.
  • heidick
    heidick Member
    I had the same problem. Two dividend reinvestments in my Vanguard Brokerage account for 12/30/22 did not download. I entered them manually after detecting a mismatch in the numbers reported on my 1099 and realizing those two entries were missing.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @nc99cobra - you might give it a few days for settlement.  Even though Vanguard transmit the correct share count (causing a mismatch against what Quicken has if you review the Online Center compares), the transactions themselves will not transmit until the day after setttlement. That is the Vanguard process - has nothing to do with Quicken.... I have my investments at Vanguard and that is my experience. 
  • Pacoinconn
    Pacoinconn Member ✭✭
    Missing transactions in Vanguard accounts has been a problem for me as well. No pattern I can discern and occurs with several accounts (brokerage IRAs and non-retirements brokerage). Usually a few so it's not a big hassle to manually add, however an annoyance nonetheless.
  • samsquared
    samsquared Member ✭✭
    I am having similar problems with some Vanguard transactions. Just recently in my brokerage account there were three stock dividends on 2/14 and one on 2/15. The one for 2/15 downloaded but the other three did not even after a week. I've pretty much given up on accepting transactions downloaded for RMD and RMD/QCDs; it's more trouble trying to fix those items than it is to just enter them manually.
  • dogkeeper
    dogkeeper Member ✭✭
    Same problem with Vanguard downloads. Appears to have started mid 2022 with missing 1 or 2 transactions. Now over a dozen transactions have failed to download in February to-date (22 days).
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    dogkeeper - I wonder if they downloading and 'stuck' and not appearing in the register? go to Tools>Online Center and then the 'transactions' tab. how many transactions are sitting in Vanguard? should be zero.
This discussion has been closed.