How to switch access on the account - death in the family

Options
Hello - coming to this forum because I know absolutely nothing about Quicken, but am trying to help my 87 year old mom figure things out after my dad's recent passing. He was absolutely meticulous about keeping everything in Quicken, and really seemed to have a good system down. I've mostly figured it out in terms of how to use the software. That said, we've temporarily lost access to the bank (Wells Fargo Direct Connect) and are working on switching everything into her name there. Once we do that - do I need to completely set her up with her own Quicken account, or can I jut "reconnect" to the bank with her name/password? She's very worried that she's going to lose years of work, logging, reconciliations, etc. that dad did to keep track of everything. Any tips or information on how to get everything transferred and set up with her would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello @bob2hill,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

First, I wish to extend my sincerest condolences for you and your family's loss!

In regard to your question; once everything has been switched over at the bank's end, you can simply deactivate the accounts in Quicken and then reconnect them via Add Account to reestablish the connection in the existing file without having to create a new data file.

Please, follow the steps found in this support article to deactivate. Once deactivated, to reactivate through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to connect. Once your account(s) have been found, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

Since you are unfamiliar with Quicken in general, I'd also like to include a few resources available to you that you might find helpful.
    1. Support articles can be found at https://www.quicken.com/support
    2. Tutorial videos can be found at https://www.youtube.com/user/Quicken
    3. In-product help can be found by navigating to Help > Quicken Help
    4. You can contact Quicken Support directly via chat or phone.
    Additionally, since you are a new user, I have sent you a direct message with additional information on contacting our Quicken 1-2-3 team. Please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bob2hill
    bob2hill Member ✭✭
    Options
    This helps a lot. Thank you very much.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BOB2HILL - Sorry for your loss... the bigger question may be whether your mother is willing to be so meticulous as your father was wtih Quicken.  Will she even use it? just something to think about,,,,,,
  • bob2hill
    bob2hill Member ✭✭
    Options
    @"Quicken Anja" I'm stuck with one part of the deactivation step. When I go to deactivate the one checking account, I get an error message that says "There are online payments to send for this account. You must delete these payments from the register or online center before you can delete the account." I was successful in deleting the payments from the register. However, it created "instructions" that it wants to send to the bank - in the Online Center there is a note in the top right that says "2 instructions" under the update/send box. However - Wells Fargo is rejecting any kind of connection from the account, so when I update/send, I get the error message OL-301-A that says "Quicken is unable to update your accounts." So - it seems circular. I can't updated/send any instructions that will allow me to deactivate the account! Any ideas how to delete the instructions that seem to be waiting to send?
This discussion has been closed.