How to import a .QFX file from Citibank

Options
I was able to import recent transactions; but I needed to go back about a year; I was able to download the transactions in Citibank with a .QFX extension; but I have tried multiple times and multiple was to import it into Quicken with no success.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It seems like Quicken is rejecting them because it thinks it has already seen those transaction in the current account, it will only import them once into an account based on the value in the transaction's FITID field.
    Another way would be to create a new account in your data file and import the transactions into it.  After they are in there, move them to the original account using this FAQ: FAQ - Moving Transactions

NOTE: Be sure to make a Quicken backup before doing any of this so that you have something to revert to if something goes wrong.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need more information to help.
    Did you follow the instructions in this FAQ: FAQ - Download old transactions
    What errors did you get when you did the import?
    Exactly what happened when you did the import?

• joynmt
    joynmt Member
    Options
    Hi Splasher: I did exactly what is in the FAQ. The file is in my downloads folder as "Last Year (2022)" and under Properties the type is "Quicken OFX File (QFX)"
    When I import, I chose Web Connect, I linked it to the existing Credit Card account, pressed IMPORT. There was a little flash on the Quicken register page, but no new data in either the register or the "accept transaction" window.
    I didn't get any error messages; just nothing happened.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The first thing I would do is open the QFX file in notepad and make sure there are actually any transactions in it.

If there are, then the next thing I would try is adding an "a" to the end of the one of the <FITID> fields.  Quicken stores the unique Ids of all the transactions that have been imported up to that point.  If you are trying to import a transaction with the same unique Id, it will just ignore it.  By changing the unique Id, it should bypass that for that one transaction and prove that is the problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It seems like Quicken is rejecting them because it thinks it has already seen those transaction in the current account, it will only import them once into an account based on the value in the transaction's FITID field.
    Another way would be to create a new account in your data file and import the transactions into it.  After they are in there, move them to the original account using this FAQ: FAQ - Moving Transactions

NOTE: Be sure to make a Quicken backup before doing any of this so that you have something to revert to if something goes wrong.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    -deleted-

• joynmt
    joynmt Member
    Options
    Thank you, that did it! Brilliant. Thanks for your time and expertise.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joynmt said:
    Thank you, that did it! Brilliant. Thanks for your time and expertise.
    @joynmt You marked your post that it worked as the "answer", but it doesn't tell us what solved your problem, please mark the appropriate suggestion as the "answer" to help the next user that has your problem.
    I've unmarked your response as the "answer".

• joynmt
    joynmt Member
    Options
    I don't understand your request. What worked was to import the .qfx file into a temporary account in Quicken, then I deleted any that were duplicates, copied the new transactions and pasted them into my credit card file.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    There were two different suggestions, so it wasn't obvious which one helped you.  

This discussion has been closed.