Account Always Opens to an Old Transaction (Q Mac)

Options
User251646
User251646 Member ✭✭✭
One of my credit card accounts always opens to an old transaction. I tried the work-around described in the question below (now closed), but it did not work for me. Any other suggestions? The problem has existed for 6 or 7 months and has not been affected by recent releases. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7925353/settings-for-opening-an-account-register

Quicken Deluxe f/Mac 6.11.3 (Build 611.47347.100) on Mac Pro (Late 2013) under macOS Monterey 12.6.3
Quicken Mac Subscription

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I have this randomly in all kinds of registers.  The Home and End keys on the keyboard will go to the top or bottom of the list, once a transaction is clicked on (would be nice to not have to make that extra click).

But, I'd be happier if there was a preference to always open registers on the newest recorded transaction.

(BTW the Home/End keys are inconsistent throughout QMac.  In some windows/lists they work... in others, such as the Payees list, they do nothing.)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• User251646
    User251646 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @MontanaKarl, thank you for the work-around to use the Home key to quickly go to the top of the register. All of my 35+ accounts open with the newest transaction at the top except for this one. The issue has been very consistent for me and affects only this one account, although I can't tell why.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @User251646 I don't know if you've tried this, but if not: click the problem account, and then click on a column heading other than date, such as Category or Memo; this will sort the register alphabetically by that column. Edit and make a minor change to any transaction (add a character int he Memo field, for instance.) Quit Quicken. Relaunch. Click on the date column heading to re-sort the register by date. Edit the top transaction and save it. Quit Quicken. Relaunch. Does Quicken still open to your old transaction, or to the one you most-recently edited?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • User251646
    User251646 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs, thank you for the suggestion but after following your instructions Quicken still opens to the old transaction rather than the most-recently edited one. I tried several columns and several different transactions, but Quicken persistently opens with the same old transaction. 

One thing that was odd: after I clicked on a column heading other than date, made a minor edit and saved, when I reopened Quicken, it not only returned to the old transaction, but it also returned to sort by date. Other accounts remember which column heading I last selected, but for the problem account, the register always returns to sort-by-date and to the old transaction.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
  • User251646
    User251646 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Another possibility for this behavior may be related to Quicken on the Web. The problem account is synced to Quicken on the Web, and the stuck transaction just happens to be from when I last traveled and accessed Quicken on the Web from my laptop. I reconnected to the web database from my laptop, but the behavior on my desktop did not change. Still, the date of the old transaction seems to be a clue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    The fact that Quicken reverts to a date sort order when you relaunch after changing to a different sort order suggest to me that this is a problem stuck in your Quicken preferences file. You could remove the preferences file and Quicken will generate a new one, but you’ll then have to reconfigure your various preferences — so I don’t know if the cure is worse than the existing problem. 😉 But if you want to try it, you could move the preferences file, try it with a new one, and then either continue with the new one or replace it with the old one. Let me know if you’re interested in trying that and I’ll tell you what to do.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • User251646
    User251646 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

@jacobs, I tried removing the Quicken preferences file as you suggested, but that did not affect the behavior of this one account opening to an old transaction. I restored the saved copy of the old preferences file. I did notice that after the last Quicken update a few days ago, the transaction on which the register opens moved “up” by one to the next most recent transaction. I'm not sure if the update caused this. I noticed the change some hours after I updated. I still suspect Quicken on the Web is somehow involved. Perhaps removing this account from syncing with the cloud and restoring may provide more info.

Quicken Mac Subscription
  • User251646
    User251646 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Turning Quicken on the Web off did not affect the behavior of this one credit card account opening to an old transaction and returning to View by Dat. Puzzling.

Quicken Mac Subscription
This discussion has been closed.