Making Quicken Name Change

Options
I have several bank/investment accounts with different institutions which currently use Express Web Connect +. I want to make name changes in quicken. What will happen if I make a change? Will I have to reauthorize with the bank, etc. Will downloads stop?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Mikey-FL,

Can you please clarify what "name change" you are looking to make? 

Are you looking to change the name (or title actually) of the account in Quicken - e.g. in the Quicken "Account Bar" it currently reads "ABC Checking Account" and you want it to read My ABC Checking Acct." ?  Or, did the name of the financial institution actually change (e.g. after a merger) and you need to change the name in order to continue downloading successfully?

If the issue is the first example from above - you can simply change the title of any account and it will not affect your downloads, and you will not need reauthorize anything with the bank or do anything else.  We can change the account name within Quicken virtually at any time and for any reason.

If the issue is the second example - then yes, you would need to take steps to delete the old connection and establish a new one.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Are you talking about changing just the Acount Name at the top left of the General tab of Account Details?  If so, then you can change the names to whatever you want without impacting anything regarding your EWC+ (or DC or EWC or WC) connections.  It will simply change how the Account Name shows up throughout Quicken....in Account List, Account Bar, Reports, Budget and everything else.
    You can also change the Description field that is directly under the Account Name of the General tab to whatever you want to without impacting any of your connections.
    In fact, you can change anything you want on the General tab of Account Details without impacting your connections EXCEPT FOR the Financial Institutions Information at the top right quadrant (everything above the Contact Name field) of the General tab because that will mess up the connections.  But those fields are not editable while your connections are intact so no need to worry about accidentally doing that.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The change of an  accts name will have no impact upon it's connectivity.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Mikey-FL,

Can you please clarify what "name change" you are looking to make? 

Are you looking to change the name (or title actually) of the account in Quicken - e.g. in the Quicken "Account Bar" it currently reads "ABC Checking Account" and you want it to read My ABC Checking Acct." ?  Or, did the name of the financial institution actually change (e.g. after a merger) and you need to change the name in order to continue downloading successfully?

If the issue is the first example from above - you can simply change the title of any account and it will not affect your downloads, and you will not need reauthorize anything with the bank or do anything else.  We can change the account name within Quicken virtually at any time and for any reason.

If the issue is the second example - then yes, you would need to take steps to delete the old connection and establish a new one.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Mikey-FL
    Mikey-FL Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank You for your detailed response.

My situation was a simple name change to several account names listed in quicken only. I've made the changes and I was able to download transactions with no affect. I was concerned about making these changes because of all the problems with the initial conversion to the Express Web +. Obviously those issues are fully resolved.

Once again, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.