Removing tags in multiple transactions simultaneously

Options
AnthonyG
AnthonyG Windows Beta Beta
I have incorrectly tagged multiple transactions in my register. I'd like to entirely remove any tags from these transactions.

While I am able to pull up a list of these transactions (filter transactions, select "Edit transaction(s)" from the context menu); however, I can only find a "Find and Replace" function, but no "remove" function.

Any ideas?

Thanks all.

--Tony

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Type in one space for the "new tag".  That will enable the button to make the changes in find and replace.  When Quicken does the actual change it will filter out the space and you will have removed the tag.  It has been suggested before that Quicken should just allow a blank tag/category/..., but they have never implemented it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • AnthonyG
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @q_lurker Thank you for your help on this.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does it work if you leave the Replace box empty?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • AnthonyG
    Options
    No. The "Replace All" button is greyed out if I do not put something in the Replace box, and I see no other way to simply apply the blank tags to the transactions anywhere else in that dialog box.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Perhaps you could retag those to a newly created tag (ABC), and then delete that new tag (ABC).  
  • AnthonyG
    Options
    That's an interesting thought. I'll try that and let you know how that goes. Kudos on your out-of-the-box thinking (even though I hate that term).
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Follow up thoughts -- There are users currently having trouble with any type of multi-transaction tag editing, so you may not be able to even do that, depending on your current Quicken release.

If any of these transactions use multiple tags (such as XYX:2021), I am not sure what happens with either the replace or with the delete tag.  Does changing XYZ to ABC make it ABC:2021, or does that require a separate replace?  Does deleting the XYX tag make that transaction tagged as just 2021?  I don't know the answer to those questions.   

So proceed cautiously and have a good backup on hand before going too far.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Type in one space for the "new tag".  That will enable the button to make the changes in find and replace.  When Quicken does the actual change it will filter out the space and you will have removed the tag.  It has been suggested before that Quicken should just allow a blank tag/category/..., but they have never implemented it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • AnthonyG
    Options
    @Chris_QPW That worked like a charm. Thank you for that suggestion.
  • AnthonyG
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @q_lurker Thank you for your help on this.
This discussion has been closed.