Is there a way to check off a transaction after I have reviewed it?

JVDembosky
JVDembosky Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
Hello. I like to review each expense in my checking to make sure it is going to the correct category, etc. Is there a way that I can check off the expense after I have reviewed it? Like a column where I can put an "x", etc.? Thank you.

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    If these are downloaded txn, the usual method is to review them in the Downloaded area below the register and then ACCEPT them into the  register.
    If these are manually input, you could probably use  NOTES column for this

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    If these are downloaded txn, the usual method is to review them in the Downloaded area below the register and then ACCEPT them into the  register.
    If these are manually input, you could probably use  NOTES column for this

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Notes" was already mentioned, but you could also use "Flag" to flag a transaction.
    This applies to banking registers only.
    In the register the column "Flags" must be enabled.
    Click on the Flags icon. In the popup click on Flags and choose a color. Or type in a Note.
    AFAIK, once set in multiple transactions, there is no way to mass-edit all flagged transaction to remove the flags.
    IMHO, a transaction report printed on paper might be the easiest way to checkmark your transactions without the need for cumbersome edits in your transaction register.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really understand this question.  If the entry is manual, then you are making the entry at that moment and surely the fact that it is entered at all should be enough.  If the entry is downloaded then in both the use cases automatically transaction/entry mode and not have flows for doing exactly this.

@UKR already mentioned the way to do it when automatic transaction entry mode is off.  You select the transaction in the Downloaded Transactions tab, and it shows the transaction in the register with the category selected.  If it is wrong, you change it and hit enter.

If you are using automatic transaction entry mode, then there is a Status column (blue dot) and new transactions will either be marked New or New Match (expand the column to see the text and the icon).  If you click on the New/New Match text it will give you the option to mark it "Reviewed".  You check to make sure the transaction is correct and select this, and the field will be cleared flagging that you have reviewed it.

Note that in both cases of downloading, the transaction's Clr field would be set to c.

If the purpose of this is check against a statement, then that would be to run Reconcile.  But it doesn't sound like this because reconcile is for the amounts not the categories.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JVDembosky
    JVDembosky Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Chris. I just want to make sure the category is correct for each new transaction that is downloaded from my bank. I wanted a way to check off each line off after I reviewed it. I think the more I use Quicken, the more used to it I will be and will learn to trust what categories it is assigning. Thank you for your response!
This discussion has been closed.