Trying to install Quicken 2017 on a new computer (edit)

CCR4441
CCR4441 Member ✭✭
I have a new windows 11 home computer. I installed quicken 2017 on it and confirmed it was the same release as on my old machine. I copied my files from the old computer and placed them in the same file string as on the old unit. The file would not open so I followed the instructions in the support area to backup my files and move them to the new computer. I also tried accessing the files storedon onedrive. In each case, the files starts to come up, asking for my password and then I get a brief view of a normal page, but then I get a new screen with a message that says " Having problems with your Quicken ID? Create a new ID for you data file or Sing in with a different Quicken ID." What do I need to do to get access to my files?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Unfortunately, Quicken 2014-Quicken 2017 reinstallations and new installations will not function because the registration process has changed and these versions of Quicken do not comply with the new registration process.  But there is a possible workaround (copying the Quicken.ini file in the config folder from the original installation on the old computer to the reinstallation/new installation config folder on the new computer) that might get it to be able to work.  You can read more about that here:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20291196/#Comment_20291196.
    If that workaround does not work, you will need to upgrade to subscription to be able to access your Quicken data file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• CCR4441
    CCR4441 Member ✭✭
    @boatnmaniac Thanks for the help. Quicken support says that the 2017 version does not work on windows 11 even though both my laptop and old desktop are windows 11.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    CCR4441 said:
    @boatnmaniac Thanks for the help. Quicken support says that the 2017 version does not work on windows 11 even though both my laptop and old desktop are windows 11.
    Quicken support doesn't know what they are talking about.  This isn't an operating system problem, it is purely the fact that Quicken 2014 through 2017 use the Quicken Id to register the product, and because of a change on the server, they no longer can login.  This would be the same on Windows 10, 7, ...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    CCR4441 said:
    I agree with @Chris_QPW .  You have been given some bad information on this matter by Quicken Support.  The issue you are seeing is because of the Quicken version you are trying to run, not because of the version of Windows.  You can find quite a few other threads in this Community over the last 6 months or so about how Quicken 2014-2017 no longer functions after a reinstallation, new installation or signing out and then signing back in because of this registration change issue. 
    Some have said the workaround process I mentioned in my earlier post works for them.  Others were not so fortunate.  If you have not already tried it and if you have access to that old Quicken.ini file then I suggest that you do try it.  Otherwise you will likely need to subscribe to Quicken to gain access to your data file.

• CCR4441
    CCR4441 Member ✭✭
    I agree. I am sure that corporate policy is to deny that old stand-alone versions can still be used. They are just trying to get people to subscribe, which is great for shareholders and bad for actual users. Is it possible to use a subscription version of quicken after you let the subscription lapse?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    CCR4441 said:
    I agree. I am sure that corporate policy is to deny that old stand-alone versions can still be used. They are just trying to get people to subscribe, which is great for shareholders and bad for actual users. Is it possible to use a subscription version of quicken after you let the subscription lapse?
    Yes, you can use Quicken Subscription with an expired subscription, but it has to be Deluxe Edition or above (Starter Edition goes read-only) and about 20% of the main window will be taken up by ads to get you to renew the subscription.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2023
    CCR4441 said:
    You might want to read the Quicken Data Access Guarantee at https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee.  It applies to subscription of Quicken Deluxe or higher, not to Quicken Starter nor pre-subscription.  Perhaps this will make you feel more comfortable about subscribing.
    Also, you might find these FAQs regarding Quicken subscription membership to be informative and helpful.:  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    CCR4441 said:
    Quicken Inc wants you to subscribe and keep your subscription current. They are willing to use policies that are not very customer friendly to convince you to keep your subscription current. So yes, you can use a subscription version after it expires, but to help convince you to renew, the expired version will permanently display a large banner taking up about 25% of the screen telling you your version is expired. And you are limited to patches that were released before the subscription expired. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• CCR4441
    CCR4441 Member ✭✭
    Thanks again to all who have tried to help! I will probably get a subscription, but for the near term, I will use my laptop for any quicken related activities.
This discussion has been closed.