Is it possible to delete old transactions(older that 7 yrs) without messing up my register

Options
Pirmagime
Pirmagime Member ✭✭
My register begins in 2004, and I would like to make it a bit more current. For IRS reasons, I would probably have to keep the current year plus 7 more. If I deleted the older ones, would it mess up my accounts on my register.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you delete older transactions, you will need to change the amount of the Opening Balance of the register to compensate for the deletions so that the Ending Balance stays the same.

If you delete a transfer transaction in one account, Quicken will delete the other half of the transfer, which is probably not an issue since you would probably have deleted it anyway based on its date, BUT, it would be a problem if it was a transfer to an investment account which for historical purposes you don't want to delete since it might be part of an active lot.

Be careful, make a backup first.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Take a look, in Q Help, at “Yearend Copy”

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

WHY - it doesn't make anything faster or even that much smaller of a QDF file -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you delete older transactions, you will need to change the amount of the Opening Balance of the register to compensate for the deletions so that the Ending Balance stays the same.

If you delete a transfer transaction in one account, Quicken will delete the other half of the transfer, which is probably not an issue since you would probably have deleted it anyway based on its date, BUT, it would be a problem if it was a transfer to an investment account which for historical purposes you don't want to delete since it might be part of an active lot.

Be careful, make a backup first.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Pirmagime
    Pirmagime Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you one and all, in particular, Splasher! I had originally thought of doing what you recommended! I always make a back up copy, but it was a good reminder, just in case!
This discussion has been closed.