Signing into Quicken with VPN enabled - “invalid credentials“

I'm using Quicken Deluxe on Windows 10 Pro 16GB RAM laptop. I also use Nord VPN, and when logging in to my online Quicken account I get the repeated "invalid credentials" loop that many have gotten while using a VPN. Disabling the VPN resolves the issue - log right in.

My question is - has anyone found a resolution? There's nothing at all in the system requirements stating "does not work with VPN."

Disabling and re-enabling my VPN every time I need online access is just not an option.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @mcmoskowitz1 ,

We are sorry about this problem with the ‘Invalid Credentials’ message. Thank you for talking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

After investigating the issue, I have confirmed the presence of an internal error that will require you to speak with Quicken Support by making use of the information provided here.  They will need to work with you in order to troubleshoot and diagnose this issue in greater detail with the tools and resources available to them, uniquely. I do wish that we could provide more advice from the Quicken Community, but Support's help will be necessary in this situation.

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• Jnixon
    Jnixon Member

Argh. This seems to have gotten worse lately. I was able to get it working a few days ago by rebooting my machine, but now not even that fixes it.

Bottom line is I need to be able to use Quicken when I'm on a VPN. I use a VPN 100% of the time. How can we get some help with this?

• Brent
    Brent Member ✭✭✭
    I have the same issue, except that I use TorGuard as my VPN.

Quicken: this is a dangerous issue that you must fix right away.

Not only does your website(s) (like this forum one) not work with VPNs, but it even fails to honestly and explicitly say that. Instead, you get false error messages that you entered in wrong credentials (like password).

It is even worse than this. Since I thought I had an old invalid Quicken Account password, I generated a new one from within Quicken. That process worked, but when Quicken asked me to sign in after that, my sign in failed unless I turned off my VPN.

Quicken should have never even let me start the process of regenerating a new password if the complete process will not work due to me using a VPN.

Bad bad bad!

Quicken, turn off your VPN filter!

People who take security seriously (e.g. Coinbase) do not filter VPNs.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to do two things:

1. Send in your log files using Help / Report a Problem in Quicken. Reference this discussion's URL
    2. call Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and report the VPN issue. Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• Brent
    Brent Member ✭✭✭
    Update: I was able to login to this community website a few minutes ago with my VPN turned on.

Quicken support: if you did something to fix this issue, thank you!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

And have you tried Quicken, including a One Step Update? That's where most of the problems are …

• Brent
    Brent Member ✭✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > And have you tried Quicken, including a One Step Update? That's where most of the problems are …

I did a One Step Update just now.

I was prompted to enter my Quicken ID and password. This is new behavior: I used to not have to do that most of the time. But I entered the info, and was then asked to enter a code that was sent to my email (2FA). I did that. Then I got the usual dialog asking me for the password for my Quicken Password Vault. Entered that. Then the One Step Update proceeded successfully.
This discussion has been closed.