Is the Data File password within the Quicken program or the particular data file?

Options
TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking that it would be prudent for me to change my Data File Password. Will my new passowd open my currently saved backup Quicken files, or will it be necessary to keep a log like I do for the versions and when they changed pertaining to my backup files dtaes?

I'd hope that it's built into the progarm itself, rather than part of the data file, but I no longer assume the obvious in Quicken.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's in the data file. Nothing is stored in the program.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA So I will have to annotate somewhere, somehow what files have what PW, kind of like you have to do with update versions regarding what version a backup is. Do you have a trick for that? It would be useful if this is explained somewhere so users that change their passwords don't think that they lost their files if they try to open on old backup that was created with a past password. I would think that could be a real headache for support to diagnose also!

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I password protect the PC … not individual apps or files

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm with NotACPA, I would never use the Quicken File Password, it only keeps your friends and family out of your data file. The fact that Quicken can remove it means it isn't much of a security wall.

I use an encrypted data vault(s) to store all of my Quicken data files and backups to keep prying eyes out, that way I have only a single password to open the data vault.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ splasher Would the Personal Data File in Win 11 fill the bill to put backups?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not familar with Personal Data File.

I am referring to vaults available with some Antivirus software and other third party software that uses a large file (volume) that the software stores files in. When open, you use it just like any other local drive, but the contents are encrypted.

I use two, one on the local hard drive for my active Quicken folder and a second on a NAS to store the backups.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tinker.ta90
    tinker.ta90 Member ✭✭
    Options

TTSguy: I agree whole-heartedly!!! I am currently locked out of an older file that I have no idea what the password would be. There should be a better way than what Quicken is providing.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

it's just like every other software program that allows you to create a data file password… the password is part of the file and it's up to you to know what it is

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Radmanboca there has also been situations where a Quicken bug was introduced that corrupted the data file and later - a random unknown password was required for access.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mbyohon
    mbyohon Member
    Options

Ps56k2 could you tell me more about the Quicken bug? I used my data file yesterday updated everything, didn't back it up, closed it with no issues and I don't have a password on it. Today as soon as my computer tries to update the quicken data file it asks me for a password (not the ones you use to run the update). I didn't have a password so I can't get into it. The forgot password link doesn't work. I am thinking maybe I got this bug you mentioned. What now? Do I go back to a previous backup (several days ago) or send my file to Quicken to see if they can remove the password or am I SOL? I have been using Quicken since they took over Microsoft Money - thinking about 20 years ago.

This discussion has been closed.