Removing hundreds of ghost bills of $0.00 (generated by Quicken) - need bulk delete ASAP

Options
Support advised me to open the request here: After switching to BankofAmerica Express Web Connect+ I have hundreds (thousands?) of manual bills of $0 for each day since the conversion, some days have 2 bills). Called in for this problem, and was on call for almost an hour but at the end the only message I got was 'you have to delete them manually'. As there are hundreds (or thousands?) that is no solution. Asked the contact to go back to development and asked for a function in the repair function to delete (in bulk) all $0.00 manual bills. The only (stubborn) answer was 'you have to delete them manually'. Finally (after an hour) she talked to someone else, and the advice is to request this new function in the community and wait........ Not very helpfull, and I'm stucked with hundreds of 'ghost bills of $0.00'. I guess I'm not the only customer with this problemas it occured after switched to bank of america Express Web Connect+. Quicken should fix this "asap".

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

How about a Reports > Banking > Transactions with only the Account(s) affected selected and a date range that encompasses the problem? Then sort by dollar amount. That should put all $0 transactions together, allowing for mass deletion.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

Click on the column header, that contains the transactions, to sort by that column.

Click on the 1st $0 txn and scroll to select all of them then click CTRL-D

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• pbmsmit
    pbmsmit Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Tom Young I tried that. These are not transactions in an account, they are 'manual bills', there is no report for bills
    @NotACPA What 'column header'? these are only showing on the bills overview, not a transaction
  • pbmsmit
    pbmsmit Member ✭✭
    Options
    Any update from Quicken? When will it be possible to bulk delete these hundreds of ghost bills?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok, so you're looking at Tools Menu / Manage Bill & Income Reminders … correct?
    And that view is cluttered with many reminders, listed with a Status = Done, Amount = 0.00 and possibly the same payee name?

Have you tried Validating and Supervalidating your data file? If not, please do this:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• pbmsmit
    pbmsmit Member ✭✭
    Options
    I cannot see if they are done, although they have dates from February when it started. They are NOT in my transactions, so it are still bills. Applied the fix, means I fell back from 48.8 to 47.15, validated (no errors), supervalidated (no errors), issue unchanged: still hundreds of ghost bills.
  • Melinda von Ohlen
    Options
    I'm having the same problem - hundreds of zero value reminders, with due dates but no vendor or category detail. Need a bulk way to deal with this mess.
  • pbmsmit
    pbmsmit Member ✭✭
    Options
    "good" to see there are more victims and that we need a solution. BTW restoring old backup doesn't help, as the ghost bills are generated again when you go to the enhanced web connection (in my case bank of america).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If this problem had occurred within the last couple of days my advice would be to restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    Windows: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Mac: https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Once restored you'd have to bring your data file up to date, reentering and/or redownloading any missing or changed transactions.

This discussion has been closed.