Latest upgrade is hanging during "Optimizing and Executing files" step

Options
2»

Answers

• ddemoney
    ddemoney Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another new Quicken update, and it is still hanging. I had done the mondo upgrade last time, and I thought it was supposed to resolve this problem. Guess not.
    Are we going to have to go through this on every quicken update from now on? Please resolve this.
  • Larry4
    Larry4 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Second update in a row today with the same issue, hangs for an excessive amount of time "executing and optimizing files" yet there is no discernable activity in task manager. This eventually finished after ~20 minutes and says it was successful, validate and repair doesn't report any damage. Further, the app did -not- make a backup of the data file when applying the update even though the dialog said that it did. [Edited - Readability]

• PowayBob
    PowayBob Member
    Options

Was able to complete the latest update after following the information from "yuriy on March 18th"

"yuriy Member ✭✭March 18

Here is how I was - unexpectedly - able to overcome (not fix) the problem.

During the Nth (4th or 5th) attempt I killed the MSI Cleanup task under the Quicken task group when it reached that "Optimizing and Executing files" stage and hung there for about 5 minutes. I cannot reproduce the exact picture but imagine that it says "MSI Cleanup " instead of "Windows host process":

After killing the task, the Setup window message displayed "Update successfull" and now I'm running version R48.9"

Many Thanks Yuiy for providing a fix that Quicken can't seem to figure out!!

• Monte Bliss
    Monte Bliss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still having problem after multiple updates. Quicken is making the MSIClean Application (32-bit) hang. When I kill the hanging application, Quicken will finish the update with no issue.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same problem for me - hangs as described at last update step (optimizing and executing) .
    Happened during latest update today 49.29
    I am running Windows Deluxe on Windows 7 Ultimate.
    I killed the MSIClean application to get it to complete. Shouldnt have to do this.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just curious … could this issue be Windows version dependent?
    What version and release level of Windows are you running on? (e.g., Windows 10 21H1)
    Are you up to speed on Windows maintenance?
    At the time you installed the Quicken update, was Windows waiting for you to reboot, to complete installation of a Windows Update?

BTW, my Windows 8.1 did not have this problem.

• CFBerman
    CFBerman Member ✭✭
    Options

The Manual Monda Patch Update worked for me.

www(dot)quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

• JohnB67
    JohnB67 Member
    Options

Here we go again with the latest update. Been running for over an hour now. I'm thinking it is time to stop updating quicken!

Resorted to yuriy's trick which gave me the Update successful window. Quicken started and reports version R49.29. I haven't verified everything working, but at least I'm back in.

• Monte Bliss
    Monte Bliss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Latest update (R49.33) and Quicken still hangs until MSIClean Application task is killed.

Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎7/‎11/‎2020
    OS build 19045.2965
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

• jhbeck23
    jhbeck23 Member
    Options

Same issue, same fix: Open Task Manager, under Quicken stop the MSIClean Application.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi All, I am sorry this is happening again. A workaround that has worked in the past is to kill the MSIClean Application (32-bit). There is also a new mondo patch that can be found here. I will reach out to report this to the appropriate team as well and let them know that this continues to happen.

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jwthrman
    jwthrman Member
    Options

I must say this is really a PITA. Quicken, please fix this as we pay you good money for this software and it should just work!

• Monte Bliss
    Monte Bliss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still hanging on today's update of Quicken R50.13 Build 27.1.50.13 Windows 10 Home. Change log indicates fixes for multiple crashes and errors, excluding this big installation/patching error!

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

Today's update 50.13 I decided to just let it sit and not kill msiclean and after about 20 minutes of hanging at the usual place it ended up completing. Why so long to complete, no idea.

Quicken Deluxe Windows 7

• yuriy
    yuriy Member ✭✭
    Options

It is a freaking shame that the issue repeats from update to update. The latest one is having the same problem.
    It is that MSI Clean application that needs to be killed (see my post of March 18, 2023)- but you have to catch the moment when it is running.

• Patricia Reilley
    Patricia Reilley Member ✭✭
    Options

The has been happening for me for the last few updates. What worked for me, although I won't call it a fix - I went into Task Manager and under Processes - Apps, Quicken had a (2) by its name. Click the arrow to display the files. Right-click MSICleanApplication (32 txt) and End Task. The successful update screen then appears. Why does it work? I don't know. Maybe Quicken can investigate.

• Monte Bliss
    Monte Bliss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still hanging on today's (06/28/2023) update of Quicken R50.14. Took over 5 minutes for MSICLEAN32 to even appear. When is this going to be addressed Quicken????

• repairman
    repairman Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I am running Quicker Premier R50.16 build 27.1.50.16 on Windows 10 Home and it's still happening. I slso submitted a full set of log files earlier this week. I've been killing the mcsiclean.exe process in task manager after each update for the last two months, and so far no database damage. For those that are waiting hours, I've been waiting no more than 5 minutes before terminiating the process. All I can say is if this isn't fixed soon, I am looking for another more stable product!

• Monte Bliss
    Monte Bliss Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Today's stuck update. 07/26/2023. Hey Quicken, how long do we have to endure this? Is anybody looking into this obvious problem? BTW, I am not getting the MSICLEAN32 app in Task Manager today, so I can't cleanly kill the process.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options

Hi all, if you can upload fresh logs by going to Help> Report a Problem, that would be helpful and I will reach out to let the developers know this is still happening and needs to be looked into further. Thank you for your patience.

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ddemoney
    ddemoney Member ✭✭
    Options

To Quicken Janean - I really don't think the Help>Report a Problem logs provide any useful info for this problem. The problem is occurring during the Quicken upgrade process, not in the Quicken application. So, either this is just busy work that you are giving us to make us think you are working on this issue, or you (Quicken) have no clue what is going on and have no intention of fixing this issue. If you are actively working on this, then some sort of update on the status of the investigation and when you expect it to be resolved is warranted.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I reported in early July that MSIClean32.exe was making my program updates hang indefinitely. If I terminated MSIClean32.exe the upgrade ended successfully. Any chance this is related?

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Why is this taking so long? The problem is with MSIClean32.exe. I started anew thread with this exact problem and just found now that the problem has been around since March or May or even earlier.

This discussion has been closed.