Deleting a transfer

Options
Earthquick
Earthquick Member ✭✭

I have transfer amount from Savings to Checking. I would like to delete the transaction from Savings only, without it effecting the transaction in Checking. When I delete the Savings transaction, it also deletes it out of Checking. Any way to have the transaction remain in Checking and only delete in Savings. I know, normally, it does not make sense to do this, but I have my reasons. Thanks!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

So you want the entry in the Savings Account to disappear - it never happened - but you want the want the Checking Account to show that dollar amount as in increase in the Account's balance?

Delete the transaction in the Savings Account; it never happened. Enter the dollar amount in the Checking Account in the Deposit column and in the Category field enter the name of the Checking Account in square brackets: [Checking Account Name]. Magically, the dollars appeared out of thin air, increasing the balance!

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By definition, transfers come in pairs, you delete one side, the other side gets deleted also.

If you change the category of the one you want to keep, the other will be deleted and the transaction will be just like any other transaction.

If you don't want to use any of the normal categories or they don't apply, make the category that account's name (as suggested by Tom Young) in square brackets ( [Checking] ) and it becomes an internal transfer to itself.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Earthquick
    Earthquick Member ✭✭
    Options

You guys rock!!!

I want to express my gratitude for quick assistance in resolving my issue. Have a great week.

This discussion has been closed.