Entering Stock Option Symbol String??

Options
Mahesh Shah
Mahesh Shah Member
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I am using premier version of quicken. Recently started option trading. But I am not able to enter Option Symbol which quicken would understand.

I am sure many in community must have succesfully done it.

Please help me out.

Comments

• Relli
    Relli Member
    Options

Having the same issue, entering in OCC format is not dowloading quotes or historical prices.

• rhone
    rhone Member ✭✭
    Options
    I can confirm also having issues with stock option quotes. I currently use Quicken Premier and have used Quicken since its inception, and also have been an option trader over that time period.
    Over the past 2 years downloading stock option data in Quicken has been problematic. The following are my observations:
    ++My experience is that Quicken does not use the standard used by the industry: 21-character OCC identifier that replaced the 5 - character OPRA code. (Wikipedia offers a good explanation). This standard provides 6 spaces for the underlying root symbol. Below is the example outlined in Wikipedia:

The OCC Option Symbol
    The OCC option symbol consists of four parts:

--Root symbol of the underlying stock or ETF, padded with spaces to 6 characters
    --Expiration date, 6 digits in the format yymmdd
    --Option type, either P or C, for put or call
    --Strike price, as the price x 1000, front padded with 0s to 8 digits

Examples:
    SPX 141122P00019500
    The above symbol represents a put on SPX, expiring on 11/22/2014, with a strike price of $19.50.

LAMR 150117C00052500
    The above symbol represents a call on LAMR, expiring on 1/17/2015, with a strike price of
    $52.50.

NOTE: there are 6 spaces allocated for the root symbol which means the number of blank spaces varies depending on the number of characters in the root symbol.

++ I have observed the Quicken does not follow that convention. Instead as another community member pointed out approximately 18 months ago historical option data could be downloaded if there is only one space after the root symbol.
    ++As an active options trader (I use Schwab) anytime a new option trade is downloaded into my Quicken software I need to manually edit the spacing after the root symbol. This is time consuming but the only work around I have found.
    ++In the last two months I have observed that I am not able to download any historical option data irrespective of the number of spaces after the root symbol. The only data point is the closing price associated with the download transactions executed the prior day. This means that if I do not download transaction information every day there are gaps in my historical options data.

This is a true inconvenience that customer support blames on the brokerage firm (Schwab). Further, customer support has not been able to explain what symbol convention Quicken uses or how I can use the Symbol Lookup table within the Edit Security Details lookup dialog box to lookup option securities.

I would be interested if others have found a solution.

Thanks.
  • shoneinc
    shoneinc Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same problem. Manually entered symbol convention just I did previously but now does not update. Called tech support and they could not solve the problem. Requested elevation of support. My observation is that Quicken does not recognize the symbol and therefore cannot update.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

(CTP-6670)

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• shoneinc
    shoneinc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jasmine - I have called support and reported the problem and they have given me a ticket number as tech support could not help solve the problem. I need to get back to them to see if they can help. Thanks for being a moderator.
This discussion has been closed.