File Corrupts After Every Update

Options
Smokeyham
Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
Hello,

Every time I download and install an update my file becomes corrupted. I have tried Validate and Repair and there do not seem to be any errors.

Any suggestions?

QDF:
Validating your data.
No errors.

QEL:
No read errors.

QEL:
All internal consistency checks passed.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Helo @Smokeyham,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Could you give a bit more detail about what is happening when the file gets corrupted please? For instance, is it refusing to open, or causing Quicken to crash, or is something else happening? When you update your Quicken, are you using the update utility in Quicken or are you downloading the patch from the Quicken website yourself? Do you have any VPN, firewall, or antivirus active when you are updating Quicken?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi Kristina,

Thanks for the response. I am updating when prompted after clicking on "One Step Update."

The issue that I experience is that my data is corrupted. I can restart Quicken and the program runs fine but then I have to go back to my last backup and restore from that. Also, I sometimes (but not always) have to re-choose which accounts I want to have linked for mobile and web.

I am not running a VPN when I update but I do have Windows-11 Firewall and Virus protection. I have had this problem for quite awhile, i.e. even when running Windows 10.

Thanks for any help.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

When you say your data gets corrupted, how does it corrupt? You mentioned the program opens fine, but you have to restore a backup. Does the original file refuse to open? Does it cause Quicken to crash?

Do you store your file on your computer's C drive, or is it on a shared network drive or synced with a cloud service (such as One Drive or Dropbox)?

When referring to Windows 11 Firewall and Virus protection, do you mean Windows Defender, or was there some other protection software installed on the computer?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the follow up.

The file will open but the data in the file is not correct. I have not discerned a specific pattern for what data is corrupted but, as an example, the balance on credit cards will often not be correct because entries have been eliminated. Quicken does not crash.

The file is stored on the C-drive and is deliberately not stored in an area that is backed up to OneDrive (or Dropbox) as I understand that can cause issues.

The Windows 11 Firewall and Virus protection are Windows Defender. There is no additional virus protection installed on the computer.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since you have already tried validating your file and restoring a backup works only until the next Quicken update happens, I'd recommend following these steps:

Try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have done as you suggested and will see how this new (copied) file works the next time there is an upgrade.
This discussion has been closed.