One Step Update - Weird screen on new accounts

Options
1lilpig
1lilpig Member ✭✭

Ok. Second question. I recently set up some new accounts for One-Step Update. Process appeared to go smoothly. My question is, whenever I update these accounts I get this screen that asks whether this account is "Bank of America checking" or "Bank of America all other states." No other options are provided. 2 of the accounts aren't Bank of America and the third account isn't a checking account. No idea why I get this screen, or what it is supposed to do....? I have found that I can just close it and everything seems to download fine but I don't know why it comes up or how to get rid of it. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas? Many Thanks.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @1lilpig,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. That prompt may be coming up due to unused/closed accounts that are trying to connect to Bank of America. To check that, go to Tools>Account List. If you have any hidden accounts, there will be a "Show hidden accounts" checkbox at the lower left; select that box if it is there. Any account that has "yes" in the Transaction Download column thinks its connected. If you see any unused or closed accounts that think they're connected, you will want to disconnect those accounts. To do that, click the Edit button next to the account name. This will bring up the Account Details window. Select the Online Services tab. Click on the Deactivate button. You may get some confirmation pop-ups. Select the appropriate responses. If there are downloaded transactions waiting for review, it will not let you deactivate the account until those transactions have been accepted or deleted.

After disconnecting any unused/closed accounts, try running One-Step update again to see if the issue is still happening.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Quicken Kristina. I checked all the hidden accounts and none of them are set up for Update. I do have another current BofA account that I don't have set up to update. And I get that screen whether it is the BofA account I'm updating or some other financial institution. Any other ideas? Thank you.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

The next troubleshooting step would be to disconnect and reconnect your Bank of America accounts.

First, backup your file. That way, if anything unexpected happens, you have a recent backup to restore from.

Next, go to Tools>Account List. Click the Edit button next to each account connected to Bank of America. This will bring up the Account Details window. Select the Online Services tab. Click on the Deactivate button. You may get some confirmation pop-ups. Select the appropriate responses. If there are downloaded transactions waiting for review, it will not let you deactivate the account until those transactions have been accepted.

Once the Bank of America accounts have been disconnected, you can click the Add Account button at the lower right in the Account List or you can go to Tools>Add Account. Select Bank of America. It will give you the prompt to authorize through Bank of America's website. Once you have completed the authorization and it gives you the success screen, go back to your Quicken. It should load the Add/Link screen. That screen will show the account name as it comes in from the financial institution, the account type, the name in Quicken, and the action (Add to Quicken, Link to Existing, Don't Add to Quicken). Verify that it is seeing the correct name in Quicken for each account to link to. If it is not seeing the correct name, click on the action dropdown, select Link to Existing, and the correct name. Once everything is correct, hit Next and finish relinking the accounts.

Run One-Step Update to verify the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hi Quicken Kristina. The above just sent me in an endless loop of linking and setting up. The weird screen asking whether it is BofA Quicken or BofA All Other States never went away. I had selected BofA Credit Card for the record, and it never showed up as an option. I ended up having to hard close out of Quicken as it wouldn't finish processing and starting over. Still get that weird selection screen on both the BofA credit card and my other VISA and checking accounts that I've set up (none of which are Bofa). And I'm using Quicken Windows if that makes a difference.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Since the issue doesn't seem to be tied to any one account, the next step would be resetting the cloud. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Backup your file.
    2. In your Quicken, go to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web.
    3. Click on the blue link that says Reset your cloud data. Note: If sync is not turned on, you will need to turn it on, close out of Preferences, re-open Preferences, then go to Mobile & Web and click on the Reset your cloud data link.
    4. In the confirmation window, type "yes" and click the Reset button.
    5. Depending on how much data you typically sync, the reset may take several minutes. When it completes, close out of Quicken.
    6. Re-open quicken.
    7. Once your file comes back up, run One-Step Update to verify if the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Quicken Kristina. Thank you for the continued support in this matter. I never access anything via Mobile and Web, ever. I never sync my data (except for the One Step Update download). I want to understand what this approach is doing before I complete it. When I checked to see which accounts were selected to sync, I decided to uncheck several that I had never opted to download previously (to my knowledge). When I selected update the change, I immediately got that same weird screen with the same two options. Once again, Q just churned and churned and churned until I shut it down via Task Manager. So, before I proceed, I would like to understand a little more about this step. Thank you.

Ok. I went ahead and did the reset cloud - after I removed any and all accounts from consideration. That silly screen showed up repeatedly. Once it was finished resetting, I tried the One Step Update and the screen popped right back up. So, Sync has been turned off once again. And the only thing that appears to have changed is that the accounts don't request 2FA before they import. So how do I get that protection measure back?
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Most financial institutions that connect via Express Web Connect will do 2FA when you first add the account, when you reset the account, or if you have to reconnect the account, but not when you update the account through One Step Update. If you are using a computer that others have access to and you don't want them able to update your information in Quicken, you can add a data file password to your file. To do that, go to File>Set Password for this data file, choose Set a custom password, click the OK button, and then create the password you would like to use on the file.

Since we've already checked the connection and the cloud, the next troubleshooting step would be to check for something file specific. To do that, follow these steps:

1. If you don't already have a recent backup, then backup your file.
    2. In your Quicken, go to File>Validate and Repair File.
    3. Select Validate file and click the OK button.
    4. After the validate completes, run a Super Validate by holding down the CTRL and Shift keys, then going to File>Validate and Repair File.
    5. Select the Super Validate option and click the OK button.
    6. Once the validate completes, try running the One Step Update again to see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    Options
    Weird, I've one step updated these accounts several times each and have always had to 2FA - until now. I will try the next recommendation.
  • 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Kristina: Super-validate gave me this message
    QEL:
    The old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered. (Not other details provided)

One Step Update gave me the same popup screen after the Super-validate.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Since you said this issue started recently, the next step would be restoring from a backup that was done before the issue started. Run a validate and super validate on the restored file. Then, try adding those new accounts into the restored file and test to see if the issue still happens.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options
    These are all brand new accounts that I set up for One Step Update from inception about 6-8 weeks ago and I have gotten this weird screen since the first time I did a one step update. No other bank accounts have ever been set up for one step update, only investment accounts. So there is no prior backup from when I didn't have this issue as I have always had this issue on these accounts. Unfortunately, I'm not inclined to redo 6-8 weeks of transactions on these or all my other accounts.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

If I'm understanding correctly, this isn't a brand new Quicken file, these are accounts that were newly added to an existing Quicken file. The purpose of restoring from a backup before the issue started (in this case, before those accounts were added) and validating/supervalidating that file is to revert the file back to a state before there was a problem and check for any issues that may cause that problem to occur. Then you'd try adding those accounts into the restored file to see if it works properly.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    Options
    Correct. Quicken user since 1994. And if I do that, I have to repeat 6-8 weeks of activity in several accounts and investments. Since we have already validated and super-validated the current file wouldn't any issues have been corrected? I've already deactivated and re-activated them, etc.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

There are some things that the Validate and Super Validate tools are not able to resolve. If restoring from a backup would result in too much loss of work, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file since it will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will try that. Thank you.
  • 1lilpig
    1lilpig Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Quicken Kristina. Made the copy and set up One Step for one account and it downloaded without that weird screen popping up. Am going to set up the others and then audit all my balances and transactions to make sure nothing was dropped. Will let you know if I have any continuing issues.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the update,

If any issues continue/return, please let us know.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.