Why do the investment accounts only pull in Equities and not Cash & Cash Equivalents?

Options
ewolfe
ewolfe Member
edited April 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Why do the investment accounts only pull in Equities and not Cash & Cash Equivalents?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    • Click on the gear at the top right when viewing the account.
    • Select Edit account details
    • The option is "Show cash in a checking account"

This is intended for CMA type accounts, where you use the cash in the brokerage account for regular expenses. If selected, the cash will be moved to an account called "<brokerage account name> - Cash" grouped with your other spending accounts. Dividend (Div) transactions become DivX, Bought bcome BoughtX, etc., with the cash atuomatically transferred between the brokerage and cash accounts.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This sounds like a problem with your particular brokerage. Which one is it?

My Morgan Stanley and Fidelity investment accounts handle my cash & equivalents correctly.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

I assume you are referring to downloads into Investment Accounts?

Everything you have in the way of securities and cash in an account with a broker should also be present in your Quicken Investment Account. Does that Account have "Show cash in a checking account" ticked "Yes?" In that case the cash (and cash equivlents if you've told Quicken to NOT treat them as securities) would be in a separate Quicken bank Account.

• ewolfe
    ewolfe Member
    Options

Where does one do this? "Show cash in a checking account" ticked "Yes?"

• Tom Young
    Options

Bring up "Account Details" and that question is on the "General" tab.

• Jim_Harman
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    • Click on the gear at the top right when viewing the account.
    • Select Edit account details
    • The option is "Show cash in a checking account"

This is intended for CMA type accounts, where you use the cash in the brokerage account for regular expenses. If selected, the cash will be moved to an account called "<brokerage account name> - Cash" grouped with your other spending accounts. Dividend (Div) transactions become DivX, Bought bcome BoughtX, etc., with the cash atuomatically transferred between the brokerage and cash accounts.

• Tom Young
    Options

@Jim_Harman

When did that change? Since Quicken has been so fragile in the last few months I update only if I see a "fixed" that affects me.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Nothing has changed about the Show Cash in a checking account option, I was just giving the details of how to enable it in response to @ewolfe's question. Our replies overlapped.

• Tom Young
    Options

@Jim_Harman

You're right, I was misreading what you said there.

This discussion has been closed.