USAA "Your financial institution connection(s) need an update

Options
I have now authorize and reauthorized (at least 5 times) USAA without success.
Every time I try a full auto update, I get the error message.
Have to click "remind me next time" to update.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @brianwolff,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. That reauthorize prompt comes up because it sees USAA accounts that haven't moved to the new connection method yet. It will usually show the financial institution name in bold, then show the account names underneath. The account names it lists are the accounts it sees still connected by the old connection.

Are they unused/closed accounts? If so, you would want to disconnect the accounts. You can do that by going to Tools>Account List. Click on the Edit button next to the account name. Select the Online Services tab. Click on the Deactivate button. You will get one or more confirmation pop-ups. Select the appropriate responses (Note: if there are downloaded transactions that haven't been accepted or deleted yet, it will need you to do that before you can disconnect the account).

Are the accounts still in use? If so, that may indicate that when you went through the reauthorization process, the accounts were added as new instead of linked to the existing accounts. Go to Tools>Account List and review for any extra USAA accounts. Its likely you will have duplicate accounts; the ones with the names you assigned connected by the old method and the ones with default names connected by the new method.

If you do have duplicate accounts, first, backup your file. Then, you will want to disconnect the duplicate accounts and the original accounts. You can do that by going to Tools>Account List. Click on the Edit button next to the account name. Select the Online Services tab. Click on the Deactivate button. You will get one or more confirmation pop-ups. Select the appropriate responses (Note: if there are downloaded transactions that haven't been accepted or deleted yet, it will need you to do that before you can disconnect the account). Once the accounts are disconnected, go to Tools>Add Account. Seach for your financial institution and select it. You will get redirected to USAA's website to authorize your account(s). Once it shows you have successfully authorized, go back to your Quicken. It will load the Add/Link screen. That screen will list the account name as it shows with the bank, the account type, the name in Quicken, and the action (Add to Quicken, Link to Existing, Don't Add to Quicken). Make sure it is seeing the correct name in Quicken for the account to be downloading into and make sure the action shows as Link to existing. If it is not showing the correct name, click on the action dropdown, select Link to Existing, then select the correct name from the list. Once everything is showing correctly, hit Next to link up your account(s).

Verify everything downloaded correctly. If everything looks good, you can delete the duplicate accounts. You can do that by going to Tools>Account List. Select the Edit button next to the account you want to delete. Near the lower left of the window, you will see a Delete Account button. Click that button. Type "yes" to confirm you want to delete the account, then click OK.

Once you have disconnected and/or relinked your account(s) as appropriate, run One Step Update to verify you are no longer getting the reauthorize prompt.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.