Why isn't the check matching function properly working during the reconciliation process?

Options

I use one step update to download account activity from Citibank. When I try to reconcile, Quicken often clears the wrong checks. In each instance, the amount of the check is identical; however, the check shown as cleared is matched to an incorrect check. Why is this happening?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Ray Charles,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. To clarify, is everthing downloading properly, then suddenly matching incorrectly as soon as you reconcile, or is it matching incorrectly on download? Is it matching these transactions to already downloaded transactions or to manually entered transactions?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ray Charles
    Ray Charles Member
    Options

Kristina,

Thanks for getting back to me. It appears that everything downloads properly. I normally select "Reconcile" as soon as the transactions have been downloaded. I don't look at the register first. I assume that the problem occurs whenever Quicken performs the match process. Quicken displays the check number in the memo field but often matches it against the wrong check, which had been previously entered into the register manually. The mismatches always have the same dollar amount and usually the same payee but the wrong check number. When I last reconciled, Quicken only properly matched 4 out of approximately 20 downloaded checks clearing. I often issue many checks with the same denomination. Does Quicken look at the check number during the matching process?

Thanks.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If the check number is in the memo field, then Quicken might not be taking it into account when doing its matching. The matching generally happens when it downloads. If it is repeatedly matching incorrectly, I would recommend turning off automatic entry for the account(s) that are having this issue.

To do that, in your Quicken, go to Tools>Account List. Find the affected account and click the Edit button next to the account name. That will pull up an account details menu. Click on the Online Services tab. Near the center of the Online setup section, you should see a blue link that says Automatic entry is: On. Click that link. It will pull up a window that gives you 3 choices. Select No - Never automatically add transactions for this account. It will bring up a dialogue box to let you know you will need to manually review and accept transactions. Click the Continue button. Click the OK button to exit out of the account details window.

After doing that, when you look at your account register, you should see there is a Downloaded Transactions section at the bottom of the register. Next time you download updates, any new transactions for that account will be in that section so that you can manually review and match as appropriate.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.